30*

Amir Jones Jr.

"You're up early

"You're up early." My mom said when she saw me sit at the table.

"Yeah, I actually wanted to talk to you."

"I have to talk to you too." She sipped on her coffee. "Where have you been sneaking off to lately?"

"Huh?"

"You're hardly here. Is it a girl?" She poked my sides smiling.

"More like a...woman." I said seeing her smile fade away.

"How old is this woman?"

"Twenty-five."

"Twenty-five..." She cleared her throat. "Um, how long have you two been together?"

"A little over a year."

I had this weight on my shoulders keeping this secret from her. Me and my dad have a great relationship, but Malina and I have always had a stronger bond. I feel comfortable telling her first.

Something about this relationship with Faye and my previous relationships tells me that it's unhealthy.

"So you were seventeen and-"

"Yes, we were involved."

"You know how girls grow up sometimes with daddy issues? They lacked a father figure in their life and because of that they try to fill that void by messing with older men-"

"You trying to say that I have mommy issues or something?" I scoffed. I don't even care about Jaeleigh that much to let her have an affect on my life.

"Amir, don't catch an attitude with me. I'm just telling you what it sounds like to me." She called me Amir so I just sat back and shut my mouth. "I've been in your life, but I can't replace your mother."

"I don't have any other mother but you."

"Jaeleigh is still your biological mom, AJ. And you still are holding in that hurt from not having her in your life. You're looking for that unfilled void in other women."

"You think something is wrong with me?"

"Not at all, but you need to ask yourself if this woman is what you really want or is she just a coping mechanism." She rubbed my back in a soothing manner. "Do you love her?"

"Yes...I think-- I don't know."

"I can't tell you what to do. All I can do is stand behind you and support."

"Thank you, mom." I leaned over and gave her a tight hug. "Can we keep this between us? Just until I figure this out."

"If that's what you want."

"Woman, where my breakfast at?" Dad walked into the kitchen with Alora following behind him.

"There's cereal and milk. Go crazy."