31*

Three Months Later
Zahria Johnson

"You think I forgot anything?" I asked Zahir who sat in his carseat chewing on his fingers not paying me any mind.

"I don't know why I'm asking you. You never pay attention to me." I joked and he looked at me before smiling.

Through the rest of my pregnancy, me and Elias have taken time apart from each other. Although he didn't like it, I stayed at my apartment and he stayed at his.

I just recently moved in with him fully because my lease was up, and it was only right to be under the same roof so we could help each other out with Zahir. We're together, but not where we used to be.

Right now I was just focusing on Zahir and finishing my master of social work program. A few more months and I'll be able to begin my journey as a social worker.

As I was securing Zahir in the backseat of the car, I felt hands grip my hips making me quickly turn around.

"Long time no see." Karim licked his lips before turning his lips up into a smirk.

"Move." I tried to push him, but he pushed me back into the car.

"You still with that privileged ass boy? What happened to having a real man in your life?"

"A college dropout and corner boy isn't a real man. Especially not one with daddy issues. You use your childhood trauma as a reason to beat on women. You need help."

"Oh, there you go trying to read my feelings and shit. They teach you that in school? You think because your ugly ass boyfriend graduated he's better than me?"

"Him graduating is only a plus. He's better than you in more ways than one." I crossed my arms, watching him get angry.

"And you had his baby?" He looked at me in disbelief. "I should've put one of those bullets through his head."

"Can you get out of my way?" I tried to walk away, but once again, I was snatched back.

He gripped my face so I was staring into his eyes, "I'm not done talking to your ass. Don't walk away from me when I'm talking to you."

"You gonna hit me? Do it."

"Shut up! I-"

"Is everything alright over here?" A man asked in a concerned voice.

"Worry about your damn self! Keep it moving if you know what's good for you." He threatened the man and he hesitantly walked off.

"How you gonna have that nigga's baby before you have mines? Huh!"

"Karim, get off of me!" I kneed him in the balls and took that opportunity to get in my car and drive off while he hunched over in pain.

When I got home, Elias sat on the couch in boxers and socks eating cereal. My cereal.

"You're always eating my cereal." I sat the few groceries I picked up on the counter as he walked into the kitchen, pecking my lips multiple times. "I thought you were at your grand opening?"

"It wasn't that fun without you." He picked up Zahir. "Wassup son. I still can't believe you pushed out a nine pound baby natural."

"I can't either, but it was all worth it in the end."

"You want to tell me what's wrong with you or are you going to make me guess?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about you walking in here with that fake smile on your face. What's wrong with you?"

I sighed, "I ran into Karim in the parking lot at the store."