ANOTHER WORLD

ㄱ ㄱ ㄱ

"It all started when I came out to both of my parents at the age of 14. I knew that I was no straight bitch since 2000, but I was just too afraid to tell them. So when I finally found the courage to, we were having a picnic near the Han River.

My dad had left momentarily to go get more ramen for us so I told my mom first, seeming that I'm more comfortable around her. When she heard me finally say that I was gay, she literally bursted out into tears. She said that she was so proud of me, that I was so brave. Her words really hit me. Knowing that my mother supported me 110% really boosted up my confidence.

I felt relieved when I heard her say those things. I was so relieved that I teared up myself. We just sat there in each other's arms just sobbing until my dad came back. He quickly dropped the bowls of ramen and ran towards us, asking us what was wrong.

My mom shook her head as she motioned for me to tell my dad. I knew that my dad wasn't all that comfortable with the LGBTQ+ community, so coming out to him was a bit tougher. Once I said it, he said that he was proud of me. But I knew those words were empty and cold. He had no intention in accepting me, I knew that for a fact.

Sadly, my mom didn't see through his act. She thought he was genuine. After that evening, whenever me and my dad were alone he would beat me senseless. Saying that I shouldn't exist in this world. That I was a mistake to humanity. That I was just a useless piece of shit that shouldn't even be allowed to breath the same air as him.

When my mom would ask me why I was so beaten up all the time, my dad would always say that I got into fights in school. That I hung out with the wrong crowd. My mom believed him, and it broke my heart when she refused to believe that my dad was abusing me. She was so blinded by her love for him, she didn't notice how much her own lover was hurting their only child.

I was in such in a state of despair in those months following me coming out to my parents, it was actually hilarious. I kept hoping that he'll stop one day. I kept hoping for my mom to snap out of it. I kept hoping to escape the hell that was my own dad. I kept hoping and waiting, but it never seemed to happen.

8 months in, I was practically dying. I was getting abused so much, I became numb to all the punches, slaps, kicks, everything. It was to the point where I decided that suicide was a choice of escape, and I was so close to doing so too. But I thought about how my mom will react.

How she will react to her son committing suicide then eventually finding out about the abuse. She would be utterly broken, and I couldn't let her suffer like that. She spent 9 painful months holding my sorry ass and I wasn't going to let her go through with that.

One night, I was once again getting abused like some animal when my mom walked into the house seeing this. My dad didn't know that she was getting off early but I did, and I took that chance and made sure he was abusing me in the living room. Right in clear view of the front door.

When she saw what was happening, she told my dad to get the fuck out of this house and never come back. I saw tears of frustration running down her cheeks, she looked so disappointed and furious with my dad. My dad threw me onto the couch, walking over to my mom. He yelled at her saying that did she really support such a disgusting faggot like me.

She snapped and told him that he was the disgusting faggot that needed to leave her and her son alone. I was sitting on the couch, groaning in pain as I watch their argument. I remembered how mad she was and how mad my dad was. It was like fire and fire clashing.

Next thing I knew, my mother pushed him out of the house. Shutting and locking the door afterwards. She ignored my dad's shouts from the other side and rushed towards me. She cried and kept saying how much of a terrible mother she was for letting my dad do this to me. For believing his words and not mine.

She held me for the whole night, telling me how sorry she was. She said she knew sorry wouldn't make up for all the pain I felt, but she would try her best to redeem herself. And I kept telling her that it was okay. That I was okay now.

My dad gave up yelling at us and eventually went to one of his friend's house or something. And for that whole night, my mom just held me. Telling me that I was a beautiful child. That I was the best thing to happen in her life. That she loved me so so much, and that she didn't care what sexual orientation I had. That I was still the same Lee Donghyuck that she raised and cherished. That it didn't matter what I do or who I become, I would still be welcomed into this home with open hands and open hearts.

That night, I felt so thankful to have a mother like her. I would love my mom unconditionally, and I would forever be in debt of her no doubt.

The next few months were full of divorce papers and court visits. I couldn't be happier when I found out that she was divorcing my dad. I was finally going to be free from him and live peacefully with my mom. Living as my gay self comfortably without fear holding me back." Donghyuck let out a shaky content sigh, not even noticing that he was crying.

Mark sat there, utterly speechless. He thought about how strong the boy in front of him was. To go through all of that, he seems like he went through hell and back.

He had to admit, it made him fall for the younger even more. It made him want to protect Donghyuck with every fiber of his being and not let a single speck hurt the boy ever again.

Mark pulled the boy in for a hug. He stroked through the boy's soft hair comfortingly.

"You are such a strong person you know that Donghyuck-ah? Going through abuse isn't easy and to see you still smiling and shining like the sun, lets me know how strong you are. I want you to know that I'm proud of you too. You deserve the whole entire universe."

-🐳-

are you crying
in the club
yet?