Interview - Clara Clearwater

Ruby Shimmer greets us all backstage, absolutely gorgeous in a shimmery red dress. The silk drifts behind her as she walks, and I admire the look. Better to distract myself with random things than to think about what's ahead. Ms. Shimmer's long, golden hair reflects the light as if it is gold, and considering the Capitol technology, it could be for all I know.

She smiles sweetly at me, her deep red lipstick matching her dress perfectly. I grin back to her, smoothing my pastel pink dress with my lavender-painted nails. The sweetheart top of the dress accentuated my large chest, something I didn't quite like about myself; something that would get in the way in the arena.

I flip my hair out of my eyes again, wishing my stylists hasn't affixed extensions to my short blue hair. Now my blue locks are shoulder length, and and even more shocking shade of azul under the light.

As the interviews start, a couple of my allies go up before me. They are in a smaller number district than me, of course. Anyways, by the time I'm supposed to go up, I've dozed off a couple times to the quiet music playing in the background backstage. I awake to a soft shake on my shoulder, a Capitol woman on the other end. She look important, because she has some sort of equipment installed in her ear, or it's hanging off of her ear. I've seen her before, talking constantly into it and writing things down.

"You're up in 3, hun," She says to me, patting my shoulder. I yawn, nodding thanks to her. I was in such a great dream about swimming, too. Ugh, oh well. Standing, I adjust the nude colored pumps I was told to wear and make my way to the stage.

"Clara Clearwater, District 4!" Ruby announces to the crowd, and they cheer for me. I smile and wave like my coach told me too, and sit in the plush white chair next to Ruby.

"Hello, Clara. How are you liking the Capitol so far?" She asks me, smiling widely.

I smile nervously, pretending to whisper. "Don't tell them back home, but it's so much better here," I giggle with Ruby, twirling the fake hair around my fingers. Ruby grins again, and her lipstick smudges her teeth. I don't tell her.

"I noticed you volunteered. Why?" She leans for ward, eyes wide. I shrug, forgetting to act girly.

"Why not? You just get your hands a little bloody then you get to live in luxury for the rest of your life. Sounds good to me," I joke, crossing my legs. Ruby nods, her smile faltering a little.

"I suppose that is true. Who do you think stands out the most this year?" I think about this a moment. Who? I haven't really noticed anyone, to be honest.

"I would say me, but that would be selfish," I giggle again, avoiding the question. "Next question?" I say hurriedly, making her frown a little.

"Okay... Is there a threat? Do you have a, "main rival", to say?" Ruby asks, finger-quoting. I shake my head.

"Not really. I think I'm the best, to be honest. No threats here," I shrug, slouching a little. This is getting boring.

"Who do you think is the weakest tribute?" She asks stiffly, her happy and bubbly demeanor vanishing.

"Clement, I guess."

She sighs at my short answer; Ruby looks very tired of me, and he answers are getting less happy and naïve and more business-like. "Any loved ones at home?"

"The usual. Me, parents. Anything else? This is getting boring," I groan, leaning back in the seat.

"What do you miss about back home?" She asks, hopefully for the last time. I'm getting sick of this.

"Seeing my mom. Baking cookies. You know, family stuff," I say, and the crowd goes "awh." I don't see how that's cutesy, but I'll go with it.

"How cute, you must miss them tons. Do you think you have a chance at winning and going home to see them?" Ruby asks, clicking her nails together. I nod enthusiastically, the fake hair bobbing up and down.

"Of course, why else would I have volunteered?" I giggle, and she sighs as the interview ends. I stand and wave to the crowd as she dismisses me.

"Clara Clearwater, everybody!" She announces, all but pushing me off the stage. Finally, now I can go take a nap and take these devil of shoes off.