🌻Neji🌻

yo it's toots...pudds hasn't been posting lately bc pudds is conceiving a part two for the madara story so stay tuned for that. annnyywayyssss, thank you for 80 reads that's really cool! here's another chapter....who should we do next? we are really looking for any input!

*~*~*~

"How long did you say this mission would be again?" I asked, pouting. Neji sighed and turned to me, his eyes softened.

"A couple weeks, (Y/N)," He said, letting out a breath as he did so. I went back to brushing his hair, he allowed me to tie it up for him before he left on his mission. It took a lot of convincing, but he eventually caved.

"That's so long," I mumbled, running the brush through his long hair a couple more times. I was sitting on the edge of his bed cross legged, and he sat with his back leaning against the bed so I could reach his hair. I ran my fingers through it a few times and it sounded like he let out a relaxed breath. He leaned back a little, seeming to enjoy me playing with his hair despite how much he resisted the idea.

I smiled and I began to tie the little ponytail. When I was done, I placed my hands in my lap and he stood up. I stayed crisscrossed, pouting because I didn't want him to go. We both went on missions often, so the time we spent together was precious.

It was the hardest when one of us had a mission and the other didn't, and this was one of those times. It wouldn't have been as bad if it were a small mission, but this was a high rank mission that would take awhile to complete.

"It's only a couple of weeks," Neji reassured me, though it seemed he was trying to reassure himself as well. I sighed and looked up at him.

"Yeah I know," I replied. "That doesn't make it any easier."

Neji came and sat next to me on the bed, and pulled me into his lap. I laid my head on his chest, and he kissed the top of my head.

"I'm going to miss you," I said softly, and he placed another kiss on my head.

"I'm going to miss you too," Neji replied. "But it's not like I'm never coming back."

"Don't say that, I'll worry more." I took his hand and began lacing and unlacing our fingers together. Neji looked at me once more then checked the clock on his bedside table.

He let out a long breath, "It's time for me to go...walk with me to the gate."

I nodded and got up, following Neji to the door. We walked out of his house and to the meeting place. I watched as he walked, his hair swishing behind him. I was really going to miss him, but I couldn't figure out why this time was so different to all the others that he or I had been apart.

We walked through the village, and we were near the gates when Neji's hand brushed mine before interlocking his fingers with my own. He held it tighter than usual, not too tight so that it hurt, but almost as if he didn't want to let go. I looked up at him, and he looked neutral; that was normal though.

We continued to walk through the village, hearing adults talking and others returning home from their missions. The gate came into view, and I squeezed his hand a little. I felt his thumb brush against my hand, and I let out a short breath.

Tenten, Lee, and Gai were already waiting when we got there. I didn't think they had been waiting too long, Neji was rarely late.

"It seems we took a longer route here than I thought," Neji mumbled to himself. I looked back at him in confusion, thinking he took a long way on purpose. We made it to the front gates and Neji let go of my hand. I missed it in mine the moment he took it away.

"Finally Neji, I have been waiting for ages!" Lee exclaimed, standing up straighter.

Tenten scoffed and rolled her eyes, "He's only two minutes late, relax."

I laughed a bit, and Neji turned to me, "Alright, I must be going (Y/N)."

I walked forward and wrapped my arms around him and he did the same to me. His arms were tightly around my waist and mine around his neck, I was standing on my tiptoes. He buried his face into the crook of my neck.

"I know it seems like a long time, but I'll be back before you know it." I could feel his breath as it hit my neck. I closed my eyes and breathed in his scent.

"I love you," I said, widening my eyes as the words slipped out of my mouth. I had been meaning to say it, but I couldn't find the right time. My heart beat increased, as I waited for his response. He kept his face in my neck.

"I love you too," He replied smoothly, and I could tell he was smiling. We pulled away and he planted a kiss on my lips, it wasn't a big dramatic one, but it was good enough for me.

"Such youth! What a refreshing way to begin our mission!" Gai shouted enthusiastically. Lee nodded his head vigorously in agreement, Neji and I let out a breathy laugh in response.

"Good luck! Please be careful!" I waved to them as they headed off, they all waved back to me.

I hesitated a bit before shouting, "Neji, I love you!"

"I love you too!" I heard back faintly and I blushed to myself. I headed back into the village with a smile on my face.