🖤Itachi🖤 Part 2

hey y'all it's toots back for a (crappy) part 2 idk how I feel but like it's kind of cute I guess but idk

*~*~*~*

///Present\\\

I throw a paper bomb ahead at the reanimated shinobi I was pursuing. The ninja had taken me away from the main battlefield and into a dense forest. This plays into my advantages though, he would be taken care of quickly.

The paper bomb sticks in a tree a few feet ahead of the ninja and explodes, slowing him down. I catch up to him and before he can get up I place a sealing tag on him. I begin to sense another chakra, this one familiar, ahead in the forest.

I run in that direction, not bothering to see the sealing tag work. As I get closer, the feeling of recognition grows stronger. I take another kunai out of my pocket, in case I need to fight again. I follow the chakra deeper into the forest, knowing well that I'm getting farther from the main battlefield as I go.

It is a completely reckless thing for me to do, but I want to know who this chakra belongs to and why they feel so familiar to me. My curiosity is controlling me, and with this reanimation jutsu, it could be anyone.

I had seen what this jutsu had done to many of my comrades, how much it hurt them to fight those they cared about. I knew what this jutsu was capable of, and within my mind I knew that there was a possibility of a certain person I held dear to be brought back.

I had gotten the news of Itachi's death after the events at the Five Kage Summit, and his truth was now known among a few others besides me. They had turned to me afterwards in order to confirm what they had heard, and I did so solemnly.

After I had read his letter, I hoped I would encounter him at some point, under any circumstance, so I could tell him that I had read his letter and that I was sorry I had allowed Sasuke leave; that was one of my biggest regrets. I wanted to tell him that I still loved him, and that he did everything he could and the village he wanted to protect was safe.

Of course, I knew now that something like that was not possible, and it weighed on my mind every day. Until the war started, that is, then I had bigger things to worry about.

As I get closer to the strange chakra, a strange feeling of fear and anticipation fills me. I think I am beginning to see why the chakra is so familiar to me, and my hand with the kunai in it trembles a little. I try to calm down, telling myself that there is a bigger possibility it is not as I fear. I burst through a bush and as I look up, my breath gets caught in my throat.

The world moves in slow motion as he moves to the other tree branch; his hair flowing behind him. He is wearing a maroon cloak and there are small cracks running over his exposed skin. I want to go after him, but I can't bring myself to move.

I hold my breath as he glances over his shoulder and his eyes meet mine. Both of our eyes widen at the same time, and the kunai I had been holding drops to the forest floor. Itachi abruptly stops on a branch and fully turns around to see me, his eyes still wide. I still can't will myself to move.

"I...Itachi..." I say, my voice softer than the wind itself. I watch as he slowly lowers his hand from its position on the tree branch. My mind races, and there is so many things I want to say, but my mouth can't form any of the words.

"(Y/N)..." He trails off before jumping down from the tree and approaching me. I gulp, knowing he is under a jutsu that could cause him to attack me at any moment. I take a breath and tense up, readying myself for an attack. He is the last person I want to face, and my heart aches at the thought.

Suddenly, he's standing in front of me and the world stops. I take a deep breath, meeting his gaze.

"I...read your letter," I tell him, and his eyes sadden. "I'm so sorry."

After I say that, all the tears I had been holding back since that day rush out. This isn't right, I'm in the middle of a war with an opponent in front of me and all I can do is cry. I stiffen as I feel his hands on my shoulders, and I glance up before he gently pulls me into him. I don't move, my eyes wide in shock.

I feel his warmth against me and all of the memories I have of us together rush forward. I slowly wrap my arms around him, holding tightly to his cloak. I realize it is my only chance to say everything I've wanted to.

"I'm sorry you had to do all of that alone," I mumble into his shoulder. "And I'm sorry I couldn't keep Sasuke safe."

"It's not your fault, you don't have to apologize," He replies, and I realize how much I have missed hearing his voice. "What I did is a burden I have to shoulder, and it isn't something you need to apologize for."

"I know but..." I stop myself as a few more tears fall down my face. "If I had-"

"Listen to me," He demands softly, lifting my chin so I can look at him. "Everything that happened was my choice, you couldn't change anything."

"Just being yourself was enough for me, it was the only thing that made me feel normal," He smiles, though I can see the sadness in his eyes. I reach up and place my hand his cheek and he places one hand over mine.

Itachi sighs and my heart drops when I see a tear slip down his face, "I wish things could've been different, I'm sorry I put you through this."

"It's alright, you did all you could," I wipe the tear away with my thumb. "I'll still love you, no matter what."

He smiles and sighs again, "I love you too, and I always will."

My heart skips a beat and I lean in and press my lips to his, and he does the same without hesitation. The kiss is full of emotion and urgency. We pull away and take a short breath before kissing again. He then pulls away and leans his forehead against mine.

"I have to go now," He says in a whisper. "I have to stop this reanimation jutsu."

"I don't want you to go, but go do what you have to do," I place my hands on his chest and look up to him. He smiles down at me before pulling me into another embrace. I bury my face into the crook of his  neck and take a long shaky breath.

"Thank you, (Y/N), for...everything," He says to me as he pulls away and begins to leave. My eyes tear up a bit as he jumps back into the tree and he turns around to look at me.

"Itachi," I begin as he turns around once more to hear me. "You're a hero to me, no matter what anyone else thinks."

He closes his eyes and smiles gratefully at me, and as I turn away I swear I see him tear up once more. I begin to return to the battlefield, the ache in my heart finally feeling healed.