1.6

*

*

Eleanor's fingers tapped against her stomach while she laid on her back, eyes wandering the blank ceiling above her. A pit of worry had formed in her stomach, distracting her from the people around her. Well, person.

Her fiance sat in the chair by the bed, watching her with a concerned look. He knew she was scared, and it killed him that there was nothing he could do to sooth her worry. Carlisle sat up and placed his elbows on his knees to speak to her.

"Carlisle," she interrupted. She kept her eyes on the ceiling as she spoke, "what do we do if Aro wins?"

Carlisle frowned, "what do you mean?"

El closed her eyes and sat up, "if... if he kills you all and takes me and Alice?"

Carlisle instantly leaned forward and took the girl into his arms, immediately calming her down. He placed a hand on the back of her head and gently began to rock the two, "El, I promise you that's not going to happen."

"Yeah but-" she opened her mouth to protest, causing Carlisle to hold her tighter.

"I'm not going to let them touch you. Or Alice," he promised, "and you've said it before, you can protect yourself, sweetheart. You're probably the strongest one in this house, Garrett said so. Besides, I'd let them take me before they could touch you."

"Over my dead body," El sniffled, "they're not touching you."

He kissed the side of her head, "they won't, Ellie. I promise."

---

Her wandering eyes stared out the window, focusing on the snow falling from the sky above. It wasn't sticking, but that didn't stop Eleanor from worrying. Carlisle's words from earlier had completely left her mind, and she was back to assuming the worst.

The Volturi were coming. They were going to kill the Cullen coven. They were going to take her.

She shuddered as the thoughts entered and left her mind. What the hell was she supposed to do to protect her family? She didn't want their blood on her hands.

A hand on her shoulder made her jump, snapping her out of her toxic thoughts. Eleanor turned her head to see her fiance, a look of worry stretched onto his features as well, "are you okay?"

She formed a tight lipped smile and looked back towards the grey sky, "yes. It's snowing."

"It's not sticking, El."

"It will be soon," she mumbled.

Tomorrow would be Christmas, and she desperately hoped that she would be able to spend that day with her family. If anything terrible were to happen, she wanted to see them one last time.