Manny

You awoke the next morning, feeling sluggish and tired. The rest of your night seemed like a blurry haze that you couldn't even recall. But, given how you felt, you could guess you either stayed up far too late again in your stress or went to bed far too early and the nightmares of last night kept you from achieving the sleep your body desperately craved.

Either way, coffee was mandatory. You knew the only kind in the house however was your father's brand, and he liked his coffee stronger than whiskey. It was a brew so intense one sip caused you to choke. 

You quickly opted to head into town to the small coffee shop you had frequented often during your senior year of high school. It had been a few weeks since you had been there, after graduation you hadn't had much incentive to go.

In no time you dragged your sheepish body from the rubble of your bed and got ready. You could see out the window that the rain had not stopped. There was still a constant drizzle, but the look of the clouds made it seem as though a heavier rain would soon fall.

You dressed in layers, a comfortable cotton shirt under a thicker tan woven sweater. You grabbed a scarf to wrap your neck to help defend yourself from the wind. Slipping on a pair of fleece leggings, your sweater fell past your hips and stretched to your thighs to make it almost seem like a dress. Though you weren't really a dress type of girl, you did like slightly oversized clothes for the comfort they provided.

With a slip on of your leather boots and your bag, you wandered out of your warm room and toward the front door. The temperature in the hall was less welcoming than that of your room, but your father was strict with the heater, not wanting to run up the power bill. Thankfully though, your room was one of the warmest ones in the house as the air flow was less prominent, though that proved to be hellish during the summer months.

You could hear the rumble of the living room TV blast into your ears. It was a Sunday so your father was home. You swore he had that television so loud the neighbors could likely hear the weather report he was watching. Sarcastically you thought he might need hearing aids.

You didn't stop to say good morning to him, or your mother whom you guessed was likely in the kitchen cooking breakfast, or maybe now it was closer to lunchtime. You didn't want to get dragged into some daunting conversation about household chores or, god forbid, have one of them bring up your college choices again.

Hurrying to the door you grabbed the keys to your 2012 Lexus that you got on your 17th birthday - your father had insisted that you wait a year after getting your license to have a car. The car was clad in black, at least your parents knew how to stick to your color scheme. It was a used car when you had gotten it, and you had already racked up even more miles on it with your many solo aimless adventures that kept you out of your house.

You hit the key fob and heard the click of the doors as they unlocked. You rushed to the mass of metal to try and limit the water on your clothes, quickly opening the door as it spoke in greeting with rapid beeps. The car was dated, that much was apparent by the faint scrapes and dents along the fender.

"Morning, Manny~" you idly said as you tossed your bag into the passenger seat. A silly nickname you had given the car shortly after it became yours. You had named it after one of your favorite photographers 'Manny Librodo' that you had had an infatuation with when you were a teenager, though you still enjoyed his work.

"Let's get some coffee, Manny." You let your hand glide over the worn grey leather of the steering wheel, patches along the wheel a lighter grey than other spots due to years of preferred placement of your hands. You were anticipating the heavenly sweet taste of the bean juice you craved. Slamming the door shut you shifted in your seat to gain comfort.

The car roared to life with the turn of the key and you could feel the vibrations radiate into your body, signaling the car's life. The faint sound of the rain hitting the metal roof above you echoed in the small space, along with the soft tapping noise the water made when it struck the glass; it was soothing. 

You hooked your phone into the AUX cable that protruded from the radio and you went to your calm playlist that you had programmed into your phone and hit shuffle. Setting your phone down, you heard the first song filter through the speakers.

It was a love song, but the beat had a catchy tone. Its melodic vibe drew you in. Though memories of your childhood - your own love stories - threatened to flood into your mind and bring back a sense of nostalgia. But with those memories came a flood of sadness and heartache that you just didn't want to remember, so you blinked them away and put the car into reverse, backing out of your driveway as you started on your venture.

You tried not to let yourself get hung up on negative feelings, or the melody of a song be ruined by a trashed relationship, so you simply tried to recall the song when you first heard it and the feeling you had then before it was tied to memories of the past. Feelings of optimism when it came to love, and a sense of joy to find it for yourself. It allowed you to enjoy the tune much easier.

Your free foot gently tapped against the floorboard to the beat of the song as you headed down the familiar childhood street you were raised on, being careful in your movements due to the continuous rain, though it didn't fall hard. Song after song continued to play, though you had barely gotten through a quarter of your playlist when you rolled into the main part of town, near the coffee shop.

You approached a stop sign, and you could see the small little shop just down the road. Your eyes glanced both ways as you rolled to a stop, ensuring the way was clear before letting your car creep forward. However, just as you were about to reach the middle of the intersection another car came flying from your left and whipped in front of you. Impulsively and due to sheer reaction, you quickly slammed on your breaks, your seat belt becoming taught as your body jerked forward violently. The coarse woven material dug into your collarbone from the jolt.

The car whizzed right in front of you, missing the hood of your car by maybe two feet. The sound of squealing tires and the faint smell of scraped and charred metal filtered through the vents of your car and assaulted your senses. Your body quickly jerking back and bouncing against the plush seats, your skull rattled as it bounced off the headrest. Your eyes closed for a split second before reopening to a widened state. Staring at the road ahead before looking to your left, you saw that car speed away as if they hadn't almost killed you.

Hunching forward, you pressed your forehead against the steering wheel and breathed heavily. How many days in a row would your heart be exercised to such an alarming extent? It felt like it was lodged in your throat now after that sudden surprise.

Quickly you tried to collect yourself as you were now parked in the middle of a four-way intersection and this likely wasn't a good place to be. Sitting up straight you took in a deep breath, placed your shaking hands on the steering wheel, and allowed your car to cautiously roll forward as you made your way to your intended destination that wasn't more than two blocks from your 'almost wreck'.