Just a Cup

"So, how are you handling everything?" Jimin nonchalantly asked as he walked closely at your side, being mindful of your personal space but not straying too far where the sound of the rain would drown either of you out. 

"How am I handling being dead you mean?" You questioned back, keeping your eyes on your bare feet. You could feel the water squishing between your toes as the hard concrete assaulted the bottom of your tender heels. "Are you going to ask me how the weather is, too?" sarcasm overtaking your tone as you glared to your left at him. 

He was shorter than Taehyung, not too far off your own height, but still taller than you. It allowed you to feel less intimidated by his appearance, slightly underestimating him due to his size, which was hypocritical given how much you hated when others did the same to you. But he simply chuckled lowly at your spite. 

"I'm not on the verge of a mental break if that's what you're wondering." Finally answering his question with a scuff as you ripped your eyes from his form and stared ahead, watching as the cars passed the both of you by, none the wiser as to what exactly was waltzing down the street. Then again, you knew they couldn't see you but... what about him? 

"You do seem like you're handling all of this better than the other souls I've seen." Jimin shrugged as he shimmied his hands back into his pockets, you could hear the rattle of something that resembled keys. "Not going to lie, when I saw you standing on that railing back there, part of me wondered if you were going to actually jump." 

"What good would that have done?" You asked as you hopped over a small puddle in your path, watching as your feet made ripples on the collected water on the sidewalk. 

"None, but that doesn't stop people from trying out of fear." Jimin's head turned toward the lake beside the railing, staring out into the open water that lacked any waves. The lake was too small for something like that unless a boat sped by and created them, then again most people weren't stupid enough to take their boat out in the pouring rain. 

"Fear of what?" Raising your head, you turned your attention to him. He had succeeded in peeking your curiosity. You stared at the side of his head, his eyes turned away from you. You hadn't noticed at first but... was he even getting wet? His white shirt was untouched by the liquid and his hair was as voluptuous as if he had just blow dried and styled it. 

"Where they might end up." His chocolate eyes fell closed for a moment, taking in a breath before he turned his head towards you and met your gaze. "Once they come with us." 

Your feet came to an abrupt halt at his words. Was he leading you somewhere? You let your brows frown as you looked at him from under your lashes with suspicion.  Your sense of being manipulated was now back on high alert. 

"Don't worry. I'm not taking you anywhere like that." He said as he let his award-winning smile return, though right now it almost seemed like an evil smirk to you. He stopped walking as he gave you a chance to recover and make the choice to continue on your walk with him. "That's not my job. Plus, we can only take you when you're ready." 

"To... the 'other side' you mean?" His statement made you feel a bit more at ease, that is if he was being truthful. They couldn't force you to go anywhere if you weren't ready, at least that was a plus in your book. 

"Yes." He answered honestly and without hesitation as your walk resumed. 

"So, I can choose to stay like this? Never move on to the 'other side'?" You began to let your tongue speak more freely. He was here to explain, so why not ask the questions you were wanting to know in place of asking Taehyung? At the very least, you had no previous ties to this man and upsetting him didn't seem likely due to the lack of connection you shared.