Him

You broke the barrier keeping you from what you saw as evil and stepped onto the creaky wet planks of your porch. Just as you had guessed, he was there, sitting, facing the rain as he rested on the steps that led to your home. You weren't quiet about your entrance, shutting the door normally with a click behind yourself before turning towards him, keeping your distance sizable. 

"Y/N..." He called out, aware of your presence, though he couldn't bring himself to look you in the eye. His hickory eyes were cast to his feet, not daring to raise his head. 

"What are you?" You cut him off before he could give you some sob story speech to try and sway your mind against what you had heard this morning. 

"Y/N, I'm so--" He raised his head, looking over his shoulder back at you, but you sliced through his words with malice. 

"I said, what are you?"  You cut him off again, letting him know there was only one answer you wanted right now. Being in a 'chatting' mood just wasn't in you as you folded your arms against your chest in defense. 

"I'm a reaper..." He uttered, though there seemed to be distaste on his tongue as his eyes projected a less than human gaze, like he didn't want to tell you, as if he himself wasn't happy about that title. 

"What is it you want from me?" You questioned, showing no pity to his remorse. You kept your jaw tight, your teeth clenching as the muscles in your cheeks flexed in response to the iron grip. Your nails sank into the cloth that laid across your arms, the shirt you still wore, the gift he had given you today, but the silk felt like nothing more than sandpaper offered up by a liar. 

"I'm here to help you..." He whispered. His words were carried away with the wind and you could see the look in his eyes, read that he felt he had failed. He clasped his hands together, ringing them nervously as he broke his gaze from yours. 

"Yeah, you've got a shitty way of showing it." You said back with spite, your emotions still raw and unfiltered after what you had just experienced. To your annoyance, he just took your backlash and offered none in return, only a nod of his damp locks in understanding. 

He was so quiet, his gaze averted. It reminded you of when you had first met him, how sultry he was back then compared to the man you had grown to know and had begun to trust. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" You questioned again, pointing your chin downward as you glared across the eight-foot gap that separated you and him, letting your eyes pierce the hazy distance.

"I couldn't." He claimed as he stared at his clasped palms, holding them together so tightly you could see the white of his knuckles. For someone who wasn't human, his appearance at least was convincing. 

"Bullshit." You snapped back with a click of your tongue. You tried to slice through his lies with sharp words and a harsh tone that bestowed no sign of weakness. 

"I couldn't!"  He yelled back this time, whipping his head back around to you and looking you deep in the eyes. "There are rules that prevent it. There are reasons." He pleaded, his eyes begging for your understanding while your own housed none. 

"Were you physically capable of telling me that I was dead, Taehyung?" You questioned directly, not breaking your eyes from his as you raised your chin up, looking down upon him. He didn't answer. He just turned his head away once more, just as you had expected. "That's what I thought." You hissed as you turned your head from him, giving him the cold shoulder. The wind served to cool your burning face, caused by the salted tears. 

"Y/N, would you please just listen to what I have to say?" 

"Why should I? How can I believe a single thing that's come from your mouth? Anything you've told me, how can I be sure that any of it is real?"