Remember

It didn't take long before the two of you found yourself seated on a park bench just a half a mile from your home. It was the same park you used to come to frequently to play as a child. Your eyes fixated on that familiar little yellow tube that was just across the sea of sand that was now more like putty due to the rain.

"So... do you remember?" Jimin asked, staring down at his lidded cup of 'almost' coffee. His hues were downcast and avoiding your confused gaze as it met the side of his face.

"Remember... what?" A drawl in your words as you displayed your ignorance in his off the wall question. Though you took note of his now hesitant appearance, he was almost shifting in his seat beside you on the old wooden bench.

"Your death." Jimin's caramel voice leaked from his lips like sap from a winter tree. He tilted his head, letting his dark chocolate eyes look to you from under raven black locks of hair that shadowed his forehead and blew uncontrollably from the wind.

"Oh." Was all you could think to respond as you pulled your gaze from him and stared off at the empty soccer field across the side walk. It would normally be littered with children this time of day, but the constant downpour was making people sighting scarce. "No." You swallowed your empty throat as, despite part of you not wanting to remember the night, you couldn't help but wonder what happened. "All I know is I died in a car wreck.... I found my death certificate on my mom's bed." You shrugged your shoulders, a normal tactic for you to conceal awkwardness with nonchalant behavior.

"Hmm..." Jimin hummed from deep within his throat.

You raised your cup to your lips and washed away the negative taste with a swirl of vanilla cream, finishing off the beverage in one last awkward gulp.

"Am I supposed to remember?" You decided to question after his long bout of silence, letting your eyes narrow to slits as you looked at him from the corner of your eye.

"Do you want to remember?" Jimin answered your question with one of his own, leaning back further on the bench as he stretched his long legs out in front of him, well long despite someone of his size.

You let your eyes roll across the horizon aimlessly. Thinking on the question, you tried to decide on an answer that you were unsure of. Part of you wanted to know, the fact of not knowing an aspect of your own history didn't sit right with you. While there was another part that feared the idea of finding out, revealing that day and the anguish that it unmistakably brought. In your silence, you left Jimin to assume his own answer.

"You've been having... hallucinations. Right?" Jimin's voice fell to a more gentle tone, approaching the topic with care. It was as if he were worried you'd shatter if he became too brash, and the idea that he was taking you for a weakling only drudged up memories of the other reaper.

"Yeah." A curt reply was silenced with a tight pinch of your lips, quickly washing the thought of Taehyung from your mind.

"Well, those are likely the fragments of memories, though they can get pretty twisted when you can't recall the actual event they stem from." Jimin explained as he took his cup of coffee that he was still nursing into both of his hands and let his thumb glide nervously over the cardboard.

"Are you saying that I was seeing pieces of my death?" You twisted your head toward him, dipping your brows as if it were his fault, though it was simply just your irritation at the realization and you quickly calmed your expression to some degree.

"Yeah..." He whispered as he continued to stare at his cup, as if he were telling his parents that he had made a mistake. It was clear he didn't want to tell you all of this, but somewhere he felt he had to, likely since you had rejected the assistance of the other one.