Chapter 35 The Real Cost

We went to Malcolm's room and he gave me another bass—The black one. We started. He didn't have much time so he didn't give me details of everything, he just told me the finger positions. My fingers seemed to be getting a good stretch. That was the first time I realized that I did not own my fingers and they were surprisingly stiff and useless.

"You've got small fingers. Will take you extra work,"
Thank you my creator, for giving me baby hands.

His fingers slipped on the strings like butter while mine went like a prick covered brick. It was evening soon. We ordered some noodles and cola.
"Looking at you, I feel like playing too," Malcolm said.
"Then, you should,"
"Nah, it'll mess us the wound,"

I looked at his neck. I saw something, "You've got a tattoo too?"
"Oh yes, one of my seniors became a tattoo artists. MJ, Louise, Jerome and I got our tattoos from his shop. He is dope. You want one too?"
"No, I'm not a fan of art on my body," I laughed. But I wanted to see what the entire tattoo looked like.

"So, you usually hang out with your band mates?" I asked.
"They are more than just my band mates,"
"Friends,"
"And family,"
I looked at him, "The Music club is actually a club to beat up bullies. We perform once a while just for the student council to see we are working and they don't cut off our funds. We call our band 'ChellLui'. Because MJ and Louise found it." He told me.

"You can fight too?"
"I'm like the manager. MJ gets the info and he is the spokesperson for our club. Louise and Jerome are the fighters,"
"I see. If I join the club...I'll be the manager too! Cause I can't fight,"
"Sure, but for that you need to master the bass,"
"I WILL!"

He smiled and looked at the stars in the sky. It was dark already and we sat on the window. Suddenly, a black cat came inside the room. I FUCKING HATE CATS!
Why? BECAUSE THEY NEVER MEW ME BACK!

"Oh, Loyd," Malcolm got up and the cat wrapped his tail around his leg. I glared at it and he stared back at me with his big yellow eyes. His cat looked manlier than me. We both were judging each other. He hates me. Malcolm fed it and then he sat on Malcolm's lap and stared at me. FUCKING CREEPY ASS CAT!

"Oh yeah, Kate, this is Loyd. I picked him up four years go, when I joined high school."
"Why?"
"Why? Because he's cute and I love cats," NOT AT ALL! HE'S FUCKING CREEPY!

"So, what happened?" Malcolm asked.
"What?"
"Why were you crying before coming here. Since you're calm now, I thought I should ask right now,"
"How do you know I was crying?"
"Tear marks tend to stain your face,"
"Fuck," I rubbed my cheeks.

"So?"
"Nothing much. It's jut my family,"
"Did you get into a fight with them?"
"I didn't even do anything! I just played some music and my parents trashed my computer. You know, it's always like this. Anna always gets whatever she wants while I'm supposed to be happy in my sister's happiness, because we are twins, right? I'm the elder one, so I should be understanding. They never paid attention to me or just look at me—Like mom, look, I'm your Kate, you have two kids, not just Anna. Then, what did I do so wrong that you seem to hate me? Just tell me and I'll apologise, okay? Is love from you too much to ask for—"

Oh shit, I got into emotions. I looked at Malcolm. He was looking at me. Then, he pointed towards the sky, "You see those stars in the sky." I looked at the stars, "Some of them got names. Others don't. But still they are there. And so are you."

My eyes's widened and I looked at him, "Living is the only option you got. A star never leaves the sky even if it cannot shine as bright as the other one. You are such a star. Everyone got a role to play. So have you. Just don't give up. Miracles happen,"
His voice had no emotions, but his words were enough. It's been a while since I felt like I am me again. And it feels nice to talk.