O N E

"Yes, sir."

The young prince groaned and threw his silk pillow at his guard, who angled his body in time for it to fly right past him.

"It's Iris. Stop calling me that already. It's not-" The prince's breath left him as the vampire's face was mere inches from his in seconds. He didn't flinch nor did his heart speed up or dull as his cold hand reached out and gripped his jaw and forcefully tilted his head up.

"There are only so many titles. What about master?" The vampire's voice was like a dagger, piercing with chaos sitting at the tip of his tone. His light blue eyes turned navy and rested emotionlessly onto the prince's narrowed hazel ones.

"No. Use my name." Iris pushed his guard away who respectfully backed up, otherwise, the human's shove would have been nothing but a weak pat against him. "Understand?"

"I've always understood, Iris. I believe it's my vampire blood that just has to piss you off."

"Well, I congratulate your blood," the young prince muttered under his breath and leaned to fall onto his back from sitting on his bed, but the vampire gripped his arms and pulled him to his feet.

Still locked in his sleepy daze, Iris stared at the collar around Kai's neck with heavy eyelids. Realizing his drowsiness had faded, he looked up at Kai's eyes, not moving a single inch; neither did the vampire.

"You have training this morning, Iris," Kai informed, releasing the prince's arms, which fell to his side like they were paralyzed.

"With you?"

Kai nodded his head, "As always, sir."

"Maybe it's strange I dislike being called with such formality, but don't you find it useless to address a minor like they're older than you?"

"We are only two years apart."

"Yes, two centuries!"

With a roll of his eyes, Kai watched Iris fall back down onto his bed with a huff. He raised one arm to cover his eyes and let his legs hang over the side, laying like he was a thrown rag doll.

"Iris, you can't fall back asleep."

"I'm not...I'm just going to rest my eyes."

"Iris."

"...."

"Sir?"

Iris laid still with his face expressionless, in which Kai could only see his lips form a flat line. He did doze off until he felt his ankles be gripped, then his head shot up.

He wasn't quick enough to protest or react as his guard yanked him off the bed and let him fall on the floor with a loud thump.

"Ow! Are you crazy?" Iris held the back of his head with a hiss of pain. He glared up at the smiling vampire.

"No, I'm your bodyguard who is fed up with his prince no getting up on time."

"Well, I'm annoyed with your pestering."

"It's my job, Iris."