S E V E N T Y-T H R E E

Tears wanted to flood out of Iris's eyes but he didn't even have the energy to conjure up a sob.

"Is it over?" he asked, voice shaking. Beyond them, there was still one or two one-on-one fightings, but the raging madness of yelling, stabbing, blood splashing and tears falling, was over.

Kai smiled at him and nodded. "It's over." He cupped Iris's face. "It's over. So you can let go."

Iris knew he was talking about the dagger. Just being near it made him feel invincible, so letting go was a struggle he didn't know he had to face.

"I..."

Kai gently turned his hand around and rubbed his fingers with his thumb.

"It's okay."

Iris stared at his hand. He swallowed a lump down his throat and inched his hand open, letting the dagger roll out of his grasp. With it gone, he felt a weight lift off his shoulders. He leaned forward until he fell face-first into Kai's chest. He closed his eyes when arms wrapped around him, warming his freezing body and soothing some of the pain.

"I'm proud of you, Iris."

There were no other words that sounded as comforting as those. Being acknowledged. Making someone happy.

"We did it," Iris croaked.

"We did. Vridora is safe."

Those were also words that made everything feel lighter.

"Good."

Kai started to rub Iris's back but stopped when he felt something jagged and then something wet. He pulled his hand back and examined it.

The palm of his hand was painted a deep red.

"Jesus, Iris!"

The prince widened his eyes when Kai suddenly pushed his back and turned him to the side. He followed Kai's worried gaze and stared at the shard of glass sticking out of the back of his shoulder.

"Oh." Iris shrugged his arm. "That's why it hurts."

Kai sighed. "You're unbelievable."

Iris reached for the piece of glass. "Should I take it out?"

"No-no! Don't touch it." He whipped his head to the side. "Hey! I need bandages, fast!"

Iris watched as a vampire hurried over and deposited a roll of bandages into Kai's hand, then rushed away when Kai thanked him.

"Okay...um..."

Iris raised a brow at Kai's hesitance. "Just pull it out."

Kai gave him a deadpanned expression. "That's not–we should just wrap properly now. Come on." Kai helped Iris to his feet and guided him back into the small house.

"June!"

A black-haired Vamp jogged towards them.

"Cover the door."

The Vamp nodded at Kai and stood in the doorway when they went inside.

They both eyed the dead Vamp while sitting down in the corner on the opposite side of where the body was.

Iris held the bandages while he watched Kai unbutton his shirt for him. He tried to protest and say he could do it himself, but Kai didn't allow him and kept swatting his hands away.

"Okay, once I take it out hand me the bandages," Kai said, making Iris nod. Kai gently gripped the shard of glass and carefully watched Iris's expression as he pulled it out.