F I F T Y-F I V E

"Thanks for listening to me, Iris. I get you need time to comprehend it all, but I appreciate that you at least listened."  Zoe stood by her bedroom door with Iris beside her.

After convincing Kai that Zoe was on their side and indeed had good intentions he walked her to her room. Kai explained the situation to the other guards, and since their wariness was definite, Iris figured it was best to stay near Zoe whenever and as long as he could.

Iris didn't tell Kai what Zoe had said in detail, but rather suggested they were in a calm state of mins first. And alone.

Iris nodded his head and showed a soft smile. "I did say I would try to aid a vampire in need. Listening was the least I could do."

"Well, thank you. I'll stay patient for your answers." Even though she seemed composed and had loose shoulders, Zoe was still nervous. Iris saw right passed the shield in her oceanic eyes and it was hard to suppress the urge to council her in some sort of way.

"For what it's worth–" Iris laid a hand on Zoe's shoulder. "–I believe your intentions were and are genuine."

Zoe smiled and patted his hand. They bid each other goodnight and Iris watched Zoe enter her room before leaving down the hall.

His heart did a flip when he turned the corner and saw Kai leaning against the wall. It thumped with awe rather than fear.

"I thought you were telling the guards what happened?"

Kai pushed himself off the wall. "I did, only the first class has to know. For now."

Iris nodded and slightly raised his eyebrows when Kai took his right hand and started pulling him with him down the hall.

"Kai."

"Hm?"

"Don't you have to be with the other guards?"

"I'm staying with you tonight."

"Why?" Iris hurried his feet so he walked alongside Kai, who looked away and didn't answer the question.

They made it to Iris's room in silence and only when they entered and shut the door did Iris fix the lack of words.

"You're jealous."

Kai couldn't have made a more offended expression. "Excuse me?"

Iris grinned and leaned closer to Kai, making him inch back till his back touched the door.

"Jealous."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, you gave Zoe and me a dirty look when we walked out of the cell holding hands. You don't like it when we're together and didn't like it even before you knew she was a vampire. I understand, but just admit it."

"I am not jealous."

"You are very much so. Wary of my relationship of her."

Kai put a hand on Iris's chest, nudging his away. "I'm not jealous. Wary is a good word. I don't trust her, especially with you."

"Kai, I know how to take care of myself."

"You don't know what she's capable of."

"You forget how capable I am."

"I–" Kai sighed and laid his hands on the prince's shoulders. "I'm just trying to protect you Iris. It's my job."

"Technically, no. You're not my bodyguard anymore."

"I don't have to be to look out for you. To worry or care. That's what you do for someone you care about."

Iris searched inside Kai's eyes, and in his sight Iris felt much more alive. Full. Less alone.