F I F T Y-T H R E E

Iris widened his eyes and ran over to the wall along with Sage. They peered down, anxious, confused, and a little startled. Iris wanted answers, no, he needed them, but his focus was trained on Kai, whose brawl with Hyde started turning angry.

He and Sage both glanced at Zoe when they heard her shoes click on the ground. Sage instinctively laid a hand on Iris's shoulder and narrowed her eyes protectively.

Zoe cleared her throat as she rubbed her neck. Kai didn't hurt her as badly as he would have to a normal vampire, but he did scare her. She looked up with ocean eyes dulled like mist over a lake. At first glance her eyes bluntly looked dead, emotionless, and not fearful or filled with something apologetic. When she slowly climbed to her feet, her eyebrows furrowed when Sage pulled Iris back with him.

"I'm not going to hurt you," she said softly with raspy voice.

A part of Iris wanted to believe her, but a bigger part of him felt betrayed and in all honesty, slightly spooked. He backed up with Sage, and Zoe dropped her head with a sigh.

She glanced at Iris one more time before running over to the wall.

"Meet us down." Was all she said before putting her hands on the top and leaping over. That was all Iris had to see to confirm this madness. He looked at Sage who nodded and held his hand; they'd travel faster with her.

Down below, Kai and Hyde's clothes were gathering loose grass and leaves as they rolled around the ground, hardly being able to stay on their feet long enough without being tackled down.

Kai grunted as he was once again pinned down by Hyde, his nails dug into his skin and his fangs snarled as he hissed. Kai pushed him up enough to bend his knees and kick Hyde in the stomach, sending him flying off towards the wall.

His back slammed against it with a crack, but with one roll of his shoulders the rabid look in his eyes returned. He pushed off but was suddenly slammed back when a hand slapped against his chest.

Hyde widened his eyes at Zoe while Kai glared. He stayed laying on his back observing and predicting what she planned to do, but he couldn't imagine apologizing would be first on her to-do list.

She turned her body to face Kai, her hand still pressing against Hyde, and she lowered her head.

"I am truly sorry for the disturbance I have caused. This wasn't what I wanted, neither was hurting your prince. I simply wanted his–" Zoe's words were cut short when Iris and Sage appeared in the scene just as he mentioned him. Though they weren't alone.

Iris stumbled a little when Sage let go of him, due to her speed being rougher than Kai's, and she apologized with a smile. He shook his head and immediately went to Kai's side.

"Wait, what's–" Zoe tensed when unfamiliar faces came into view.

At least seven first class guards surrounded them. Three pushed Hyde onto the ground and the other three held Zoe's hands behind her back. Hyde struggled but his energy was used up in fighting Kai. And like Kai predicted, Zoe didn't attempt to break free.

"Are you okay?" Iris aided Kai as he sat up. He was glad he didn't look too injured. Kai only had a cut on his lip and Hyde had one above his eyebrow. Though their fight didn't leave marks, their bones and muscles ached.

Kai looked over with a comforting smile. "I've fought worse."

When they looked towards Hyde they noticed he was glaring at Kai, his mocking comment didn't ease his anger.

"I made a small detour before coming here," Sage piped in. She talked while Iris helped Kai stand. "Just until dinner we'll take them to the cells, find out what he can."