F O R T Y-F I V E

Iris almost knocked over his tea when he stood up from his chair.

"I get to train with you?" The excitement was vivid in his voice and Kai found himself smiling at it.

"Yes. I talked to the King about it and he agreed that it was about time you start properly learning."

Kai said properly because throughout their time together they would often find themselves watching the guards practice. Kai rarely interacted with them and only watched with Iris, but when they did he would describe to the prince the certain moves the vampires were doing. Iris was a quick learner and he always said how he wanted to started training, now finally he could.

"You'll be training with me personally until maybe, maybe, you can practice with the other guards." Kai told Iris when the sparkle in his eyes grew.

"That's fine." Iris grabbed his tea and started walking towards the door. It was clear to Kai that Iris wasn't completely inexperienced with fighting, which interested him because he was still such a mystery and more of the unknown kept pilling up.

Right when he heard the idea, Iris was already feeling better, physically that is. His headache still lingered but his lack of memory from the night before helped ease his mind.

Instead of going to Iris's room to relax for a while they went straight towards the training building. Kai kept asking if he was feeling okay to train and Iris kept dismissing his worry. Iris was very excited, and even he didn't know why.

When they stepped inside the building the chatting died down to a complete stop. Then the vampires erupted, which made Iris widened his eyes.

"Kai!" Cyrus threw herself at Kai for a quick hug before smacking his arm. "It's been too long!"

Kai rolled his eyes, "It's only been a few months since we talked."

"No, it's been a few months since you waved at me," Cyrus corrected while angling her finger at him. He put his hands up to admit and Cyrus chuckled.

Kai was greeted by a few other guards but since most of the vampires in the building were not the first class, they kept to themselves and talked.

They ventured towards the side of the building were less guards were. Kai aimed his attention on the rack of wooden weapons while a few others stood near him.

"So, are you going to train with us today?" A girl with long red hair inquired with a hopeful tone.

Kai turned around holding two wooden sticks. "Not exactly. I'm training him." He used one of the sticks to point at Iris.

The other guards glance at him with unreadable expressions.

"Huh," One of them acknowledged. He walked closer to Iris and examined him with narrowed eyes. "Why would a prince need to learn to fight?"

"Yeah, aren't you his body gaurd, Kai? Isn't that your job?" Another chirped.

"Well, not forever." Kai eyed the boy hovering next to Iris.

"That's kind of weird," The male guard pushed on. While he circled around Iris, Iris just kept a blank face. "I mean, no offense, I don't think he could learn much."

"No?" Iris finally spoke up. Something flickered in his hazel eyes and Kai became intrigued rather than wary.

"No. You're a human, let alone a prince, I doubt you carry out a simple attack–" When the boy laid his hand on Iris shoulder, that glint in his eyes shined to the point where Kai could decipher it as something mischief.

He and the other guards watched with gaping mouths as Iris grabbed the boy's arm, and in a swift motion, pulled his body over his shoulder and slammed him on the ground. However, he wasn't done.