S I X T Y-O N E

The only thing Kai could do, or rather wanted to do, was cradle his head in his hands and pray he lived to see another day.

Iris kept telling him that it was okay, that his dad wouldn't be mad or punish him, but Kai remained startled and on edge. When they went back to Iris's room, Kai immediately rushed into his own and contemplated on locking himself in there. Yes, he was scared and nervous but only because if he were to be punished, Iris would be to.

He sat on the floor with his back resting against the bed. His elbows rested on his knees in which allowed him to drop his head in his hands. He didn't feel shame or regret, he'd never be sorry for loving the prince. Instead he was simply anxious and the gut-wrenching feeling almost made him sick.

A few minutes have passed since he sat in that position. He picked his head up just a little when he heard a female voice come from Iris's room. Sage.

He could hear what they were saying but he wasn't quite listening and only caught one or two phrases.

"......He's freaking out, he won't listen to me."

"I'll talk to him, don't worry, prince. Why don't you–"

Kai's attention shifted from Sage's voice to her footsteps edging towards his room. He sat up straight when the door opened and briefly squinted at the light that poured into the room from Iris's. Kai had been sitting in pitch blackness.

Sage put her hands on her hips and sighed. Kai watched her walk over to the window before grabbing the shades. Ignoring his protests, Sage quickly ripped them off, and blue moonlight invaded the room. Despite the light being dull, Kai's eyes still flinched.

"What the hell, Sage?"

"It's better than the light." Sage went back to the door to shut it before taking a seat next to Kai. "Iris told me what happened."

Kai returned looking down, avoiding the world like he was avoiding punishment. "I'm so dead," he muttered.

Sage's hand patted his shoulder. "If anyone has a good relationship with the King, it's you, Kai. He likes you, and I'm very positive not a lot of royals like us vampires. You've done so much for the prince, he won't overlook that. If he is considering to discipline you, he'll keep in mind what you've done for him regarding his son and the kingdom. Don't worry."

"Don't worry.." Kai repeated, but it was sour on his tongue. "I have so much–too much to worry about right now. I don't need this, Sage. Iris doesn't need this either."

"The prince isn't worry about his dad–"

"No, he doesn't need this." Kai gestured to himself, which caused Sage to furrow her eyebrows. "I'm a mess right now. I have so much going on, thing I...things I can't even be vocal about. I have to worry about the guards, the kingdom, these–these barmy conflicts, and Iris, and keeping everyone safe and–"

"Kai, you can't keep everyone safe–"

"I have to," Kai spat. "Or at least try. That's my job here. My purpose. I have to."

"Now is not the time to be blinded again by reputations. You're not their tool, you're a living being with thoughts and feelings, ideas, and conjectures. Don't think just because we're in a state of panic that you have to retire back to that corrupted mindset of yours you have five years ago."