S I X T Y

Soo, no excuses I just completely forgot to update Friday..and Saturday..and yesterday, oops, I'm sorry!

***

Kai clamped his mouth shut. His lips were ready to say Zoe's name but that would've been a mistake.

The woman leaned against a tree, hands behind her back, and smiled.

"I like that about you," she said. It made Kai shiver and clench his jaw. "Though I must say, I was surprised to find out the guards you train aren't as good as yourself. I snuck in with little hassle."

"Why are you here?"

"That's a foolish question, don't you think? I'm sure my sister and her big mouth told you everything." The woman chuckled and leaned off the tree. Kai took a step back. "Well, not everything. Shall we talk? Or do you want to fight me first?"

Kai didn't say anything, just keep his narrowed eyes set on Annesa. In all honesty, he didn't know what to say or do or act. He stayed still as if that would make her disappear and he would think he imagined it all.

But that wasn't the case.

"I get it. My sister said some bad things about me and now I'm an enemy you have to be wary about. Well, she's always had a big mouth and never wasted an opportunity to use it. You look like the type of guy who will listen to both sides of a story before picking aside. Don't you want to hear mine?"

"I won't listen to anything you say."

Annesa shook her head and flicked her tongue across her top fangs. "Here I thought you were such a bad boy. But truly," she chuckled, "you're all bark no bite."

"I don't care what you think of me."

"Well, you should. You're an important reason why I'm here."

"What do you mean?"

"I've heard stories about you, Kai. Great stories. How much does your majesty know about your past, hm? Your violence and delinquency? What about that prince of yours? Does he know who you were back then? Or have you forced your past behind you–"

"That's none of your business."

"But it is. I admired you. A reckless rebel. Your strength and reputation caught my attention and I don't oversee things I take interest in. I thought to myself if I can get someone like him on my side, I was sure to win. But then I find you in this kingdom with my sister."

"I'm sure no matter what kingdom I was in, I'd never join someone with such a toxic mindset. Wars get you nowhere. Killing—turning – innocent people don't prove a point."

"Wars are the only thing that catches the humans' attention. Those lives are examples, and so be it if they're innocent."

"I will never follow someone like you." Kai's heel touched the wall of the building and he tensed up. Annesa smiled something wicked and took the opportunity to stand directly in front of Kai.

"See," she said and grabbed Kai by the chin. "All bark no bite. Why are you afraid, Kai? Are you afraid of me? Or that I'll be able to change your mind?"

"You'll never do that." But to Kai's worry, he didn't sound a hundred percent convinced.

"Humans are the real monsters. They treat vampires like exotic pets and slaves. We do their dirty work, they starve us, we fight their battles, they put leashes on us. How morbid is that? How sick and demented could they possibly get? Oh, I know, they'd pretend they actually cared before stabbing a sword through our hearts. Humans are animals. Animals need to be tamed." Annesa forcefully let go of Kai's chin and took a step back. "If you were to become one of us, become like me, we could rule over both the humans and the vampires. We could set the rules, the laws, and watch them suffer. You could also enjoy the sun, put those pesky fangs away. The power you can hold is incredible, it's a win-win, Kai. Join me."