T H I R T Y-T H R E E

Five years ago(from present)

"You will be the leader of our first class guards-judging by your history of...violence we respectedly over looked." The King turned around with a smile plastered on his face. "So, welcome to our kingdom. Kai."

The vampire boy perked, surprised. "Thank you but, um, do we not go by numbers here, sir?"

"Ah yes, many kingdoms do that but not here. I'm not that inconsiderate as to strip someone of their identity."

"Oh. Every vampire here has a name?"

"Yes. Same one they came in with. I will call you by your name, as for my wife and a few servants, probably not. Plus, Kai is nice name-human or not."

"Thank you."

The King titled his head at him.

"Uh, thank you, sir."

"It'll take a while to get used to I'm sure, but I advise you to remember around my wife. She controls those," He points and directs the vampire's attention over to another, who had a silver collar on, "And if you struggle to take it off it'll trigger and shock you."

"Oh."

"But do what you're supposed to and she'll pay little mind to you."

Kai glanced at the King with an emotionless face. They were around the same height, which was interesting to him because Kai had always been quite tall, going over six feet. The King held a lot of dominance in his facade of kindness, it didn't take much to notice his atmosphere was thick and serious.

"Right then, we need to get you your collar now." The King gestured to the door in the training building he showed the vampire and they started walking over to it. "Our blacksmith makes them, they're renewed about every years."

"What happens if they aren't, sir?"

"They malfunction. We try to keep close tabs on whose are in need of repairing or things like that."

As they talked they descended down stone stairs, heading into the basement where the lights dimmed and only flickering torches lit their way. Once they made it out of the long hallway, the brightness increased, but it was still slightly dark.

Kai watched as the King knocked hard on a large door and stepped back. There was shuffling within the room, the sound of slapping metal quieted and soon it sounded like the door was being unbolted; unlocked until it swung open.

A middle aged man poked his head out, dark smudges on his face, and looked the two up and down.

"You're here for the collar, yes?"

"That's correct. You finished it? Oh-this is Ray," The King introduced the man to Kai before the man allowed them to enter.

"I did. And the girl's."

When they stopped in the middle of the room where the light was pooling over two tables cluttered with tools, Kai stared at the two collars on the table. Their cold metal look was intimating especially knowing what they could do.

"Where is she, if you don't mind me asking." He looked over at the King, who had a pondering expression as if figuring out what he meant.

"Oh, Sage? I had a guard show her around the mansion. I thought supervising our maids and servants would be a suited task for her. And guard the inside in case the guards outside slip up."

"Has it ever happened before?"

Arlo smiled at Kai.

"Sorry, uh, sir."