S I X T Y-F I V E

"She's not human."

Kai scoffed and forcefully shoved Annesa away.

"Liar. He's human."

Annesa let out a tired sigh. "You see, there's a big misconception that a vampire's gene is always the dominant one between two parties. If a vampire and a human create an offspring, that offspring is a hybrid. Well, that's wrong. The offspring is whatever the strongest between the two is. In this case, the prince's dad was the strongest, thus had a stronger gene resulting in Iris to be completely human. His mother was weak; probably died after giving birth."

Kai hated to admit it, but he was at lost as to what to say. He was unsure if Annesa was telling the truth because so far all she's been doing is spitting out truths.

Still, he was against her words. "Liar."

Annesa raised her arms and shrugged. "Believe me, don't believe, I don't care. But know it's true."

"Why would you tell me this, anyway?"

"Why, because relationships should be void of secrets."

Again, he couldn't understand her context. The relationship between her and him? Or between him and Iris?

An explosion went off before he could decide. The already black sky was thickening with smoke and the fire from the villages was only growing by the second.

Kai clenched his hands into fists and pushed himself off the wall.

"I don't have time for this or you! All you've done is waste my time and manipulate me!"

Annesa quickly grabbed onto Kai's shoulder before he walked away, resulting in him whipping around and swinging his fist.

Annesa let out a groan, stumbled back, and grabbed her cheek. "You punched me!"

"I plan on doing a whole lot more."

"I'm on your side, Kai! These–these royal snobs with their punishments and obnoxious rules don't deserve you. They don't deserve a pint of our help!"

"Maybe that is true. Maybe they're all just coldhearted people that only want suffering for those who are different.  So what? War isn't going to stop anything! Let's say you win, let's say this kingdom falls to its knees and helps you take over the rest. Then what? You're going to subject them into the same things they're doing to the vampires? That makes you no different than them! You want change, then make a damn change and not a more violent replica of what's already being done! They won't listen to violence they'll only respond with it."

"You don't understand, do you? Humans, won't, change! They never will! So, we must force them to. And if we must copy their methods, so be it."

"What difference does that make?"

Annesa growled and let out a frustrated groan. "You don't understand!"

"I do! But your...your...idea of..." Kai prolonged his words as his eyes drifted away from Annesa and towards the door that slowly crept open.

An identical face walked out along with one that made his heart race.

"Uh, but think about it! Is it really worth it? You'll get, what, possibly a hundred years of subjection but the humans will eventually rise with the help of the vampires who are against you. Have you ever noticed the disagreement between you and the vampires? Even they don't like your plans."

"They just don't see it yet. The greater cause."

Kai clenched his jaw as Zoe stalked closer to Annesa. Iris lingered near the door, staring at him with wide eyes.