T H I R T Y

Iris was choking out excuse after excuse, whatever his mind came up with on the spot, with hopes that the situation wasn't as grave as it settled to be.

But the weight of everything, just everything, was starting to nudge the truth out of his mouth. However, he swallowed the lump and clutched his throat. He'd never let it out. Arlo could figure it out, but he'd never tell.

Eventually, Iris was cowering next to his bed while his dad demanded he removed his hands from his neck.

Arlo aready knew the truth, he did deep down. But he wanted his son to be honest with him. He bent down in front of Iris and grabbed his elbows.

"Tell. Me." Arlo looked into Iris's eyes with a stern stare, but within his seriousness he showed Iris that he could trust him. That it was okay to tell. Even though the truth wasn't necessarily okay to be okay with.

Iris shook his head and diverted his eyes. He flinched lightly when the King moved his hands from his arms to grip his shoulders.

"I know what you're doing, Iris. You're only going to get him in more trouble for lying."

Iris widened his eyes and swallowed another lump. Except this time it wasn't the truth, but another lie he wanted to confess. Iris suddenly leaned forward with desperate eyes.

"Dad, please, please don't do anything to him. It was all me, I forced him to do it. Please don't hurt him."

It seemed that the prince's whole life was a climb to a climax of disasters. When something cherishing occurs, life recoils and throws him on a downward spiral. He could only get dizzy so many times.

Arlo noticed far too lucidly the affects of the game playing in his son's life. His begging and pleas were too loud to ignore, anyway. They were so surreal, it shocked him.

The King sighed and loosened his hold on Iris. "As a King..rules must be carried out," When he witnessed Iris's eyes grow wider than their priceless china, Arlo noted that he should have arranged his statement better. "But Kai is-well he's..just someone I'll bend a few rules for."

The feeling of relief has never been so crucial to his mentality. Iris looked down and slumped his shoulders. They had been so tense they hurt when they dropped corresponding to his ease.

Everything after than was a blur of political talk from Arlo. Punishment-in which Iris wished with all his heart was only a long, long lecture-was definite. He followed his dad to his door where more dreading moments were shared.

The King didn't have to call a servant to search for Kai at all, as the vampire was sitting near the door silently.

He looked up at Iris with hooded lids and then at Arlo.

The King hardly made eye contact with him. "My study. Now." He said in a declaring tone that made Kai shudder. He may have dominance, but the King had authority. And a lot of it.

The vampire nodded and slowly stood up. This explains why he couldn't find the King when he sought out for him. He was already half way down the corridor when Kai was on his feet.

Iris expected him to say something, anything, but he didn't even spare a glance at the prince before he started catching up to Arlo. He wasn't mad at him, not in the slightest, even though he made Iris think that. Kai was just silent and obedient.

Over the years of being owned by a royal family Kai's seen what 'punishments' did to the vampires. They were fearful, as though they weren't vampires at all, they'd beg for mercy. That only encouraged the people who inflicted the pain. Kai has witnessed enough public executions to know a single plea can fuel an entire stadium with hollers.