F I F T Y-E I G H T

It was the middle of the afternoon when they returned to their temporary home. Furnished with villager material, it was hard for Iris to fall asleep on any mattress. Whether that being the bed or the couch. He did eventually, with the help of Kai's body heat and feather-like caresses, he fell asleep with the thought of a killer being in the room.

They decided to sleep the day off before testing the dagger. They were both equally drained from the walking and the nervousness. Iris could barely keep his eyes open and Kai never wanted to get up from bed; he wasn't feeling the need for sleep, but a need to replenish his energy.

They slept again, arm in arm, till morning. Until a rooster flinched Iris awake. He drowsily looked around the room washed a pale yellow. He rubbed his eyes while stretching his other next to him. Usually, he ended up hitting Kai, who groaned at him, but this time there was no groan and nobody to hit.

Iris opened his eyes wider and looked to his left where Kai was supposed to be laying. There was only a sunken spot gone cold.

Iris rubbed his eyes again as he sat up.

"Kai?" His voice was raspy in the morning. He glanced back over and spotted a glass of water on the bedside table. He crawled over to Kai's side and grabbed it. He downed the water, partly clearing his husky vibrations, and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. "Kai?"

The floor creaked when he walked on it and a burst of cold air hit him when he opened the door.

The cabin they stayed in hardly fit two fl rooms. Their room was one and the other was the kitchen. When he walked out of the room, he saw the sitting area to his left. A wall was directly to his right. Walking alongside it, he peered around the corner to see his missing vampire.

The kitchen wasn't a room, rather an area that had only three walls to provide little privacy. 

Kai was sitting at the table, one leg bent up to his chest as he sat. He was flipping through a book while holding a small red bag up to his mouth. Iris didn't have to be a genius to figure out what that was.

He cleared his throat, catching Kai's attention.

"I thought you hated books?" Iris said. He leaned his shoulder against the wall as he decided not to take a seat next to Kai.

"I do. I just thought I'd educate myself before I start stabbing an ancient dagger into my skin."

"You know, we don't have to test it just yet. Or rather, you don't have to be the one to test it."

"We might as well try it now. As I said, I want to make sure it's real before it's in the hands of someone else."

Iris sighed and rested his head on the wall. Kai had a point. It was Iris's own worry that didn't want Kai to test the dagger out. What if one cut was fatal? What if he doesn't stop bleeding? His thoughts and concerns only grew to a degree he didn't want to imagine.

Kai didn't seem to mind too much–that meaning he eyed the dagger in the glass every minute or so–as if it would jump out and attack.

"You should eat." Kai's voice cut through the pause in their conversation. Iris blinked to regain his focus and looked at Kai.

"I'm not really hungry."

"You should still eat."

"I don't think I can eat any more of this cheap food. No offense to the villagers, it just upsets me."

Kai sighed and closed the book he was reading. "We won't be back home for another day. I think you'll live."

Iris mocked Kai with his lips before turning around and heading back towards the room,  preparing to get ready for the day.