F O R T Y-S E V E N

Kai brought Iris home after he realized he was over thinking the situation, secured him in bed, and waited for the King to arrive to inform him, before he snuck out after everyone was in bed and crept down the halls. There was a guest bedroom that owned a balcony, so he searched for it and once outside he sat on the railings with his legs dangling. The air was cold and felt soothing as it washed over his face.

He sighed through the quietness and closed his eyes. He listened to the crickets' reedy choir distantly and the wind pluck the rusty colored leaves off their branches. The village was asleep but even if noise was to be made it was too out of his hearing rang. He sighed again and listened to a leaf crunch.

Kai shot his eyes open and fling them down to where the crunch came from. He stared bellow him at the glowing eyes watching him back. Their dusty green color made Kai slump his shoulders.

"Kai?" Sage's voice was above a whisper and she squinted to see clearer.

From the balcony Kai waved to confirm it was him and watched Sage look around. She climbed up the nearest tree, which was a fairly close to the balcony, and jumped towards it as she stood on the highest branch. Kai got off the railing just in case she didn't jump far enough and missed, and he stopped her from falling when she jumped too far.

"Thanks," She chuckled and dusted her shoulders.

"Why are you outside?" Kai asked as they both leaned over the railing, not sitting on it this time, they just crossed their arms over it. Kai glanced behind him before gazing at Sage.

"Patrol," Sage answered with a shrug, "I usually don't do this, but I got bored and offered to take the other guard's spot for tonight."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Shouldn't you be doing it then?"

Sage nudged Kai with her elbow, "And missed catching up with you? No."

Kai shook his head and looked away towards the village. "There's not much to say but I'll tell you what you would like to know."

"Hmm, okay, let me think." Sage taps her chin in thought and narrows her eyes. "Just...how is it–for starters?"

Kai sighed, "Good, I guess. I do miss the other guards, but I...I like it. It's interesting being around the prince, observing what he does, and the other humans here, too. But I've been thinking that maybe I actually like the fact that I get to be around them. Around him. I don't know. Am I ranting?" Kai looked at Sage with a frown and she was smiling at him. Plain and knowing.

"Nope. Keep going. Actually, let me cut in–you like being around the prince?"

"I–" Kai inched his body away from her slightly, "–no. I like observing him...because it's my job. So, in a sense I like it because it's my job and I like my job. Whoa, I think I solved my own dilemma."

Sage shook her head and turned her body, now leaning on the railing with one arm. "Are you happy here?"

"Happy? Of course. Are you?"

"That question has been a solid yes for years. But this is different. Are you happy," She leaned closer to Kai, "here. With this job? With him?"

Kai stared at Sage for a long moment, unblinking and for a second, thoughtless. His fingers around the black rails curled and squeezed and as much as he wanted to lower his gaze, she reeled him in too close and every second she stared she nudged the answer out.

He opend his mouth, but the reply didn't come fast enough as the door to the guest bedroom began to open. They broke the ice off their expressions and widened their eyes before acting quickly.