F I F T Y-O N E

"You want me to what?"

"Ugh, I just explained it. Okay, we've tried everything and that abomination is about to lose it–lose his mind. We need a tactic that's both sharp yet delicate, calculating, foolproof, and downright terrifying. So, who better fit the role than you?"

Sage crossed her arms and pulled her eyebrows down. She wasn't insulted by his words, but annoyed at his word choices, more because she knew they were spot on.

"Okay, fine. I'll agree but I don't think the King will allow me to interfere with the guard's plans."

"Don't worry, I asked him beforehand. He agreed to allow you to try as our last resort."

"Last resort? You really tried everything?" Sage asked in surprise.

Vridora was famous for many things, disposing a prisoner without getting information was not one of them. The guards got very little info out of the vampire, so slim they could barely call it useful.

In other words, the first class guards were desperate and Kai was determined. If anyone was good at cracking open a reluctant mouth, it was Sage. Speaking from experience, he had faith in her.

"Yes. So, you'll do it?"

Sage sighed and uncrossed her arms. "I'll try," she said.

Kai smiled and grabbed her shoulders, steering her out of the room they were in. Kai gave her more details as they walked down the hallway leading towards the entrance to the basement, where the cells were located. She nodded along, listening intensely and already creating a plan in her head.

Cyrus and another guard were down there speaking in whisperes when they arrived. Cyrus gave a brief report and nodded her head towards Sage.

"She's your weapon?" she asked incredulously.

Kai patted Sage's head with a smile. "The best there is." Then he snatched his hand away before she could scratch him.

"I'll do what I can, though I promise no guarantees," Sage said while putting her hair up. "You just have to wait until I'm finished."

"I'll go in with you," Kai said. Sage nodded and the other guard unlocked the door to the cell.

The cells were small square rooms with one pale yellow light on the ceiling. There were cells with iron bars, but this room suited best for the type of prisoner they held.

The door was heavy and shut with a loud, groaning thud when they entered.

Sage made a 'humph' sound as she looked around. The room was nothing fancy, the walls were plain and grimy, the ground had specks of dirt thay were dragged in and the light occasionally flickered. They two stopped a few feet in front of the vampire, who rolled his head to the side and looked up at them.

"Well," Kai said and hit Sage's shoulder, "have at it."

Sage rolled her eyes but hardened them as she studied the vampire.

Vampires, or normal vampires, heal extraordinarily fast, a simply cut healed within seconds. Sage was aware these new creatures would heal faster, yet she was still shocked to see that his skin was spotless; void of any signs of cuts or stabs. Though his foggy eyes seemed to replay what they did to him, and Sage saw it.

The man looked tired. His movements were droopy and lazy. But he was still alerted when she stepped closer.

She crouched in front of him, narrowing her fern tinted eyes, which turned darker until the shade appeared black.

All of a sudden she reached out and clutched the vampire's shirt collar, and tugged him foward. He widened his eyes and winced when the shackles around his wrists scraped his skin.