F O R T Y-O N E

Kai raised a hand up to his face to shield the sun from his eyes as he walked down the path leading towards the gardens. He muttered under his breath as he opened one of the long silver gates. Kai figured that he no longer applied to the rule of vampires not allowed to enter the garden after three, so he wasn't worried as he entered the one with the willow trees.

While he was watching the prince, who was peacefully doing his work at his desk, Kai made the mistake of going into his room for a literal minute. When he came back, Iris's room was vacant. He was no where in the mansion and Kai couldn't understand how someone could disappear so fast. So skillfully– especially from him. Eventually he came across Sage who helped him out and told him Iris often wandered to the gardens, so that's where he found himself going.

Kai kept his senses peeled while he walked through the garden, stepping on the peach colored tiles that guided him around.

Unintentionally, he entered the garden with the willow trees first, because that was his favorite, and he had no idea it was Iris's, too. No one could blame him, it really was beautiful. Flowers and plants with tendril leafs, surrounding the area with a pleasant fragrance. Further in the spacious garden was narrowed by a copse of willow trees, and their dangling green tears.

Kai stopped when he heard a rustling noise to his left. He narrowed his eyes and walked slowly towards a wall of leaves. Without saying anything he quickly drew back a large patch and peered inside the small space.

"Hm, took you long enough."

Kai stared at Iris with a dumbfounded expression. He let the leaves fall when he stepped inside the shaded area. The tree was large enough to create a secluded area with a pond in the middle. Iris leaned against some rocks with a plate of grapes on his lap, just feet away from the small pool.

"Were you...was this a test?" He asked while a sending a glare of disbelief.

"No. Just, considering you're a vampire, I assumed you'd find me faster."

"I wouldn't have had to if you didn't leave."

"I was just getting a snack."

"And you never returned."

Iris shrugged and tossed another grape in his mouth. "It's called a break."

Kai tensed his jaw, he had several things to say but thought it was best to keep his mouth shut. He watched Iris eat another grape with squinted eyes before directing his attention over at the pond. He knew there was one in the garden, hidden behind a wall of weeping willow vines, but as he got closer he didn't realize it was home to about five orange golden fish.

He stood near the edge of the pool and peered into it. The water was calm, cerulean and glittering. The fish were like liquid gold swimming around, unbothered. While he observed them absentmindedly, Iris was studying him.

The vampire couldn't have been much older than Iris, since he had a youthful but harden facial features. His hair was combed to the side, tamed back and off his forehead, and when a lick of sunlight shined onto it, Iris could see a distinct color of brown luster. His muscles made his clothes hug tightly around him and Iris found himself biting his bottom lip as he trailed his eyes up and down his body.

As if feeling the attention on him, Kai turned his head away from the pond and looked at Iris, who quickly diverted his eyes. He cleared his throat softly and looked around to appear innocent. Kai just shook away the feeling and backed away from the pond.

"How long are you going to stay out here?" Kai asked while walking around the limited amount of shaded space.

Iris hummed in thought, eating the last of his grapes. "I don't know. You can go back in if you want."