S I X T Y-T H R E E

Instead of morning birds, there were roosters. However, no noise, loud or peaceful, could distract the pleasure of waking up to smiles and breathy chuckles.

Iris wished the moment lasted longer; forever. He snuggled closer to Kai while tightening his arms around him.

"Please don't leave yet," he mumbled into his shoulder. He was practically clinging onto Kai as soon as he mentioned getting up.

"I have to. Just–" Iris squeezed Kai tighter when he tried to pry his arms away. "Iris, come on. Let–go." Kai was sitting up, one leg off the bed and one remaining on it. Iris had his arms coiled around his waist and had no intention of letting go.

"Don't be the kind that leaves the morning after."

Kai rolled his eyes and let out a small sigh. He put his weight on one arm so he could use his other hand to rake through Iris's hair, pushing it back.

"You know that's not what I'm doing. I don't want to leave either but I have to."

Iris didn't look convinced. He knew Kai wasn't leaving for the purpose he teasingly said, but Iris didn't care for the real reason. He wanted Kai to stay, even for just five more minutes.

Kai gave a sympathetic smile and urged Iris to sit up. When they met eye to eye, Kai cupped Iris's face and placed a short kiss on his cheek before meeting his lips.

Memories from the night before were still fresh in their minds. Their hearts, tender, felt strengthened from what they did. Their whole relationship felt stronger and stable for once. There was a vow in their actions, a promise in the intimacy, and neither dared to even think about breaking them.

For Kai, he knew more than what he's been giving is required for such a love to work. His thoughts strangled him but his dedication untangled every knot built inside of him.

When they pulled away he pressed their foreheads together, pushing a little over gentle as if the force would convey his feelings for him.

"Iris–" Kai's throat grew dry. "You know I have the poorest timing, right?"

"...What is it?" Iris leaned away but Kai brought him back closer this time.

Taking a deep breath, he let everything spill from the bottle he tried to keep tightly shut and sealed away. It was sudden, yes, but it felt right to rip the bandaid off and say it right then and there.

He told Iris about how sorry he was for the way he's been acting. How he shouldn't have reacted the way he did and ignored his feelings. He told him about talking to his dad and how accepting he was. He told Iris that he was scared for the war happening before their eyes and that he felt unusually weak; and how he didn't know if that fragileness was physical or mental.

He told him about Annesa and how he's been meeting with her every night. He talked about her pressurizing threats and plans. And again, how sorry he was.

"I should've told you sooner," he admitted, shaking his head. "I'm so sorry. I believed in her warning and...and I didn't want to risk anything, but keeping this from you is a risk. Not only you but I've been putting everyone else in danger. I'm sorry, Iris."

It was a lot to take in. Twenty minutes of it, to be exact. Iris was silent for a long time, either processing Kai's confessions or deciding on how to respond.

He was staring at the covers in front of him, unblinking and quiet. Kai couldn't even hear him breathing. He was still, present but not actually present where he sat. At least his mind wasn't, not for a while. 

When he did look up, Kai shuffled on the bed. He was prepared to hear and accept anything Iris said or offered. He owed it to him. 

"So...let me get this straight. You've been meeting with Zoe's sister, the one who is suspected of creating a revolt,  for the past five days?"