F O R T Y-T W O

Almost immediately, the King gave Kai a skeptical look when he walked up to the two vampires. He had that natural friendly but knowing smile on his face, and that's what gave Kai the chills.

"Hi," He greeted them nonchalantly, which was the opposite of how Kai felt when he looked at him. "Kai."

"Yes, sir?"

"Where's Iris?"

Sage shuffled the weight on her feet at the rising tension. Arlo narrowed his eyes but a smile was on his face, an expression that seemed as though he knew everything and was only challenging Kai to fib.

"Um, he–" Kai stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked down to see Iris giving his dad a dry smile.

"Just went to get a drink. You don't have to be so paranoid, dad."

The King put his hands behind his back and frowned at Iris, "I'm not paranoid."

"Dad, I don't have to have someone breathing down my neck all day. Your making it seem like this mansion isn't safe, do you want me to believe my own home isnt safe?"

"Well, no–"

"Then I should be able to go down to the kitchen and get a drink without someone holding my hand, right?"

Arlo looked visibly annoyed that Iris was in fact right.

"Yes." He mumbled.

Iris smiled then nodded at Kai. "Okay then. We're going back to my study and look," He pointed at Kai then himself, "together."

Sage snorted at his sarcasm and Arlo rolled his eyes.

"Whatever son."

Iris smiled before they turned the corner. When Kai glanced at him, his smile completely dropped.

"Where were you?" Kai asked while they made their to Iris's study.

"The kitchen."

"No way. I checked there already."

Iris quirked his eyebrows, "Well technically I was there because I was trying to get tea, but they didn't have any in stock, so I offered to help them bring the supplies in. I guess that means I was in the back then."

Kai sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "You need to stop doing that. I don't care if your nurse tolerated it, I don't want you jeopardizing my life."

"Two things," Iris suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked up at Kai while holding up two fingers. "One, she was my nurse which meant she did more than just watch me, like you're poorly doing. And two, my dad obviously has a soft spot for you. He likes you. As for I can see it, he won't do anything bad to you." Kai knew Iris emphasized thr word 'he' because Ameliea was a different story. She was ruthless to the vampires unlike Arlo. She felt nothing but amusement when she watched them suffer. It made both Iris and Kai sick, but of course Kai couldn't say anything about it.

"So, no, I'm not going to stop. This is my home and I'm perfectly capable of walking a few yards away from you."

Kai furrowed his eyebrows at the prince, staring at him quizzically. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair again.

"Fine. But can you at least tell me instead of just sneaking away?"

Iris widened his eyes but not enough to where it was noticeable. He turned ahead.

"Yeah. Sure."

Then they silently walked to Iris's study.

The room wasn't too big but spacious. One wall was a long bookshelf with a neat arrangement of books. A desk was in the center and a two chairs in front of it. Off to a side a lounge chair rested near a floor lamp. Another bookshelf next to it. With the leather furniture and maroon carpet, it gave off a cozy vibe. To Kai anyway, all Iris felt was anger when he stepped inside the room, because he knew the only reason he did was because he had to do work.