T H I R T Y-F O U R

Three years ago(from present)

A choir of birds sang as they perched on the branches in a tree, their bodies hidden by the thick leaves. The sky was cloudless and cerulean, so the sun shined down on the kingdom of Vridora. A golden hue was casted over the mansion.

Outside, two vampires wandered on the side of the brick walkway feet above them. They kept to the side because of the shade. Occasionally a few weak twigs would crunch under their feet.

When they neared the first garden, one of them stopped.

"You're not planning on going in, are you?" Kai asked Sage as she turned around when his footsteps died.

"Um..yes?"

Kai crossed his arms and leaned his shoulder on the wall. "You know the rules, vampires aren't allowed in the gardens after three."

"Oh, Kai, you and your rules. We're doing no harm just passing through." Sage sighed at his sternness.

"That's not the point. You have a right to follow their rules. I respect them, as should you."

"I do respect them. But some of these rules are, well, just begging to be not respected." When Sage turned back around, Kai shook his head and lunged forward to grab her elbow.

"Sage, it's just a garden. Nothing's special inside."

"Exactly. It's just a garden. And if there is nothing inside then why must they keep us out?"

Kai crossed his arms once again, "Because those are the rules."

Sage groaned and threw her head back, "I can't deal with your loyalty sometimes, Kai. It gets really annoying."

"You get really annoying."

Sage glared at Kai, but he saw the mischief in her eyes.

"I could be more annoying."

"Please don't."

"Is this annoying?" She then started walking backwards towards the garden, which contents were kept in by two large silver gates.

"Sage." Kai warned but by the time he uncrossed his arms the female vampire was running towards the gates. "Hey!"

He followed her laughter inside the garden with a scowl on his face. She was how many years older than him, yet she acted like a five year–old human child.

Despite feeling angry, Kai found a little peace in the garden he entered. It was littered with gently colored flowers and willow trees that swayed in the breeze. He enjoyed spending whatever time he could in here, which was obviously before three o'clock, because of the serene atmosphere it provided. Unlike the others that actually felt claustrophobic sometimes.

Kai directed his sight back in front of him as he slowed his pace. It was silent. And he was wary.

"Sage?" He called out to her, shielding the sun from his eyes as he walked on the peach colored stones. "Rules are not something you play around with. If we don't leave we're going to get in serious trouble. And you know how the King hates those who break the rules; which we respect, right?"
He purposely emphasized the consequences and stretched his sentences for a good reason. That reason was granted when he heard a quiet groan and he smirked.

He stopped walking and turned in the direction of the noise. Kai put his hands behind his back as he walked over with a slow movement. With one hand, he drew back a patch of leaves from the willow trees and peered inside the small shaded area it created. He looked to his left where a female sat hugging her knees to her chest.