T H I R T E E N

A few cuts and bruises here and there and a slightly damaged shoulder was all Iris got away with, as reported by the doctor. No major injuries which relieved Kai to the greatest.

That night when Finch's party was gambled by the clouds and a brewing storm, Iris and Kai were peacefully inside a warm welcoming room sitting in silence.

Because Iris rejected the rule of Kai staying in a different room, the vampire sat on the floor leaning against the bed where Iris's legs were. Technically, he didn't need sleep, but he was invited into the bed.

Painted oceans with sinking boats stared down at the prince while he gazed back up at the art on the ceiling. If he wasn't so drowned in the depth of their situation he would've laughed at the art. He never believed in pirates and a great beast that conquered the sea, yet there they were painted right above him.

The quietness was both relaxing and loud. Though Iris enjoyed its presence Kai always felt words could replace it. He has been thinking about what to say but every time he opened his mouth all his scripts would evaporate and he was left clueless.

"Genevene."

Kai looked up from the floor surprised as Iris broke the silence.

"The girl, her name was Genevene."

Unaware of what to say, Kai turned his head and laid the side of his face on the bed where Iris looked down to connect their eyes.

"Kind of pointless to still grief about, huh?"

Kai shook his head, "You always did have a soft spot for vampires."

Finally cracking a smile, Iris patted the spot next to him so he could talk to Kai without rolling over on his injured shoulder. Less hesitatant this time, the vampire stood up and walked around the bed.

"I guess that makes you living proof." Iris joked as Kai sat down and copied his position, laying sideways and head on the pillows.

"It's not wrong."

"No, but even you get mad when I'm a little too nice to you guys."

"I don't get mad just, I always worry your kindness will get you somewhere bad one of these days. But I also hope it'll bring quite the opposite."

"What you call kindness I call being optimistic for you vampires. You're all gloom and see no future for yourselves, tell me I'm wrong."

Kai looked away from Iris's hazel gaze and picked at the sewing on the dark blue quilt. "Not all of us lost hope. So, you're half wrong."

"Stay one of those many, Kai. If not for you than for me."

The room abruptly illuminated in a quick flash of light, seconds later a boom of thunder rumbled through the sky. The sound of the rain tapping on their window was distant and not of importance until the storm started picking up momentum. Rain turned into hail and the velocity of the wind grew, trees whipped in its path and the sound howled like wolves outside.

Kai glanced over his shoulder at the trembling glass doors to the balcony the room owned. There were curtains shielding their view and Iris was glad he couldn't see the madness they escaped in the nick of time.

But that didn't stop the storm from showing itself to them.

The lights flickered two times but once would've been enough to cause frustration.

"Great," Iris groaned, "a crazy storm is just what we need."

"It'll pass by morning I'm sure." But it didn't quite seem that way.