S I X T Y-S E V E N

The basement walls were a thick concrete specially designed to keep the screaming of prisoners mellow and out of earshot to the people upstairs. Although he knew this, Iris kept shaking the door, yelling, and banging on the walls.

"Hello! Anyone!" Iris shook the door and kicked the bars, making the metal clink and rattle. He growled with frustration and shook the door again. Each time he yelled the hope in his voice decreased and as did his tolerance. His throat was strained and he began coughing more than he hollered for help.

Iris kicked the door helplessly and lowered to his knees. "Please let me out.."

It was true he didn't know how long he's been down in the basement, or dungeon more like, but his anxieties made the time seem to fly by. Seconds turned into minutes and minutes became hours. His chest tightened every time he worried about Kai. His heart sped up thinking about the innocent lives being taken and sweat built on his forehead when he thought about his dad.

Iris pressed his forehead against the bars of the door. They were cold but it felt oddly nice. He had taken off his coat and tie, it was hot and stuffy and when he started overthinking it was hard to breathe. Iris almost felt bad for the previous prisoners.

Iris stopped trying to yell for help and sat leaning against the door. He never felt so powerless before. His Kingdom was under attack and his people were suffering, but he couldn't do anything. He sat in a cell drenched in fleeting hope, dread and guilt.

Time wasn't ticking for him but when he heard a heavy door slam in the basement, he had a feeling it hadn't been that long since he stopped yelling.

Iris stood up and gripped the bars. "Hello?" he called out.

There was a 50 percent chance it was someone helpful and not just one of Amilea's slaves going down to check on him. He crossed his fingers. Every spec of hope counted.

Footsteps started approaching the hallway and the shadow of the person was seen as they grew closer.

Iris held his breath when the person finally came into view. His breath was let out in the longest sigh of relief. He chuckled breathlessly and stuck his arms out.

"Sage!"

The female vampire ran up to Iris and hugged him against the bars. It was uncomfortable but it didn't matter. The consolation was more important.

"My prince, I'm so glad you're okay! I was worried sick when I couldn't find any of you guys!"

"I'm glad you're okay, too, Sage. It's been chaotic ever since the first attack, we've been all over the place."

Sage smiled and began examining the door. While she did, Iris started asking her questions.

"What made you come down here?"

Sage jiggled the door and studied the lock. It required a key.

"With the help of other guards, I escorted the King to a safe house. He's safe, by the way. Before I left he asked me to help those who were in the mansion instead of joining the fight. So, I came down here to see if there were any maids or servants hiding." Sage stood up straight and cracked her knuckles. "Please take a step back, sir."

Iris stumbled away from the door and watched Sage angle her body to the side. Her foot was swift and powerful as she kicked the end of the door where the lock was.

The clanking noise echoed blandly off the walls but it was loud enough to make Iris flinch.

The door rattled before the whole thing slowly fell backward. The door hit the ground with a heavy thud and Sage lowered her leg with a look of surprise.