S I X T Y-S I X

"Idiots! Worthless pests, all of you!"

A smack echoed off the pillars and the walls as a cold hand collided with a cheek. It wasn't the impact that made the four-fanged vampire stumble back, but the anger and feral tone in the Queen's voice.

"I ordered you to do one job. Get rid of him! And what do you do? You let him go!"

The vampire almost lowered his head in shame. Her tone, venomous and serious, manipulated his mind into thinking he was inferior to her. However, with a certain dagger in her possession, in the long run, he was.

"I apologize, but I think you've forgotten there are others here–traitors. They are not making our jobs easy to carry out."

Amilea expressed a deadpanned look. "I'm awfully aware of their interference. What of them? Kill who gets in your way."

"We're the same being. They're harder to kill, you know."

"Aren't you guys supposed to be the greater race of vampires? Can't you figure something out?"

The vampire glanced over his shoulder, sparing a look at another who stood by the nearest entrance. They shared silent words before the vampire stood up straight and looked back at Amilea.

"We will do better, we promise. We'll work on finding him."

"Good," she spat and started walking around him. She mumbled more obscenities under her breath as she stomped away, which didn't go unnoticed by the two advanced vampires.

When Amilea was gone and the two were left in the empty training area, they immediately came closer to work out a plan.

"Annesa will not be happy about this. She doesn't want him dead."

"Then we won't tell her, idiot. She's merciless but the Queen is....I'd rather be on Annesa's bad side, okay?"

The vampire that was talking with Amilea sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Fine. They couldn't have gone far, they should be around the mansion. You take left."

"Alright. Tell the watchers to start looking around too."

The vampire nodded and they rushed off into different directions not a second later.

The price on Kai's head had never been bigger.

***

Zoe chewed on the nail of her thumb as she placed back and forth. The shed she was in was small but her petite size allowed her to slip between the stacked crates to walk away her frustration and worries. She sighed for what felt like the hundredth time and paused her pacing when she heard a shuffle behind her.

Zoe lowered her hand and gasped lightly. She rushed over to the slumping vampire near the back wall and knelt beside him.

"Kai?" Zoe gently cupped his cheeks and held his head up. She inspected the little cuts around his face, nothing serious, but he wrinkled his face in pain when she touched the larger gash on his cheekbone.

Kai groaned and lazily pushed her hand away. "Stop," he said, but his voice was barely audible.

"You scared me, Kai. You weren't waking up. Are you okay? Do you need water? Blood? Well, you probably need to rest some more, however, were on a crunch here. They're looking for you. Just tell me what you need first."

Kai pushed her hands away again and slumped against a stack of crates next to him.

"I need you to shut up for a minute."