F I F T Y-N I N E

To shorten up his reluctance, Iris refused to let Kai even such as touch the case the dagger was in. When they began traveling back home, Iris kept it in his possession–his hands clasped around it like it was his life. The last thing they, mainly Iris, needed was for Kai to get injured and that's what Iris was trying to prevent.

Even if it was impossible because the dagger was confined in its case, Iris didn't want to take any chances.

The chilled weather of Vridora welcomed them as they passed the border. A mile in they were greeted by a guard who left his post to walk with them. Neither Iris or Kai said a word about the dagger. They ignored the slight stares and were grateful no one tried to ask about it. When the mansion came into view, they both glanced at each other and let out synchronized sighs. Sighs of relief and sighs that prepared them before they arrived home.

Iris escaped upstairs before Kai could say another word. They had talked their way home, but now silence seemed fitting.

Iris could only properly shove the dagger under his bed before his dad came into the room without knocking.

Affection wasn't frequently shared amongst the two, but Iris didn't complain when Arlo brought him in for a brief hug. Iris hugged his dad tighter before they backed away. It made sense to show this much affection, considering what's been going on. Internally, externally, getting those feelings out was therapeutic in a way; it revived some of the closure.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Arlo asked as he laid his hands on Iris's shoulders. He never noticed how much they looked alike. Hair that shined a slight gold, hazel eyes that captured the sun in their pools of honey. They were cursed with wide irises, emotions were easy to spot. However, someone once told Arlo it was a blessing rather than a curse.

He smiled suddenly. Iris furrowed his eyebrows.

"We did. And what?"

Arlo shook his head. "You just remind me of someone," he said.

"Who could I possibly remind you of? Certainly not Amilea."

"Certainly not. I'll tell you one of these days."

Iris frowned and lightly shrugged away from his dad. "Do I have secret family members you're not telling me about?"

Arlo shook his head again, but this time with a chuckle. He turned around, not answering Iris's questions and gestured for him to follow. Iris did so with curiosity.

The two ended up talking up a storm until night. It was something they haven't done in a while and Arlo felt extremely guilty. Making up the lost time was more important to him than solving other problems. Iris didn't quite see that idea eye to eye but he appreciated his dad's efforts. They talked for hours but it felt short when they put a pause in the conversation.

Instead of asking or suggesting he get some rest, Arlo practically forced Iris out of his office and ushered him to his room.

"We'll talk some more tomorrow," Arlo promised. They bid each other goodnight and went their separate ways down the corridor.

But Iris had no intention of sleeping so soon. Near ten o'clock, Kai snuck passed the guards and slipped through the door.

They sat on Iris's bed using the moonlight as their guide to see through the darkness.

Iris soothed his hand over Kai's cut on his wrist. It had healed poorly. The wound an irritated red and the skin around it was still black. It looked poisoned, burnt, but the skin was still soft.

"That's going to leave a scar," Iris mumbled. He touched the cut again before Kai bent his arm to do the same thing.

"I always thought I'd get away with two scars. Three's a charm."