F O R T Y-E I G H T

After a few weeks went by, Iris's hand was fully healed, even though it was already feeling fine a few days after the incident. He confronted his dad and Arlo agreed to let him train, so he started early on a Monday morning. They finished around noon.

Iris took a quick shower and him and Kai relaxed in his room. They talked while lounging on Iris's bed.

Their conversation drifted here and there but they chatted about one thing for a long time and it seemed to keep their attention on edge. Iris thought about how revolutionary it would be if there was a weapon that could kill a vampire with one swipe. Kai thought more on the chaotic side than revolutionary.

"Think about the greed humans–even vampires–would be overcome with," Kai explained, and eventually Iris agreed with him.

The topic faded and they laid in silence. 

Their relationship was vaguely built off of silence. And a lot of it. It became clear to Kai that Iris didn't necessarily like to be alone, regardless of how much he said he did, Iris just didn't have the voice to admit it. They sprouted in comfortable silence because most of the time that's all they had to offer. Kai wasn't too good at communicating, he never knew what to say-but Iris seemed to think differently. Though his eyes wandered around, Iris's attention was always focused on what Kai had to say, and Kai always listened to Iris in return. 

But Iris never talked about anything personal to Kai, it was always dumb complaints or random thoughts. 

"Hey, do you-" Iris was in the middle of asking another question when his bedroom door opened suddenly, followed by Arlo's voice. Iris and Kai sat up from the bed and looked at him with blank faces. 

They were laying in opposite directions, Iris was facing the door and Kai was facing the window, their bodies were scooted to the edges so their legs hung off the bed and as they laid, their heads were beside each other. Kai turned his body so his knee was on the bed and he facing the King. 

Arlo's expression stalled for a second before he smiled at them. "My apologies for disturbing your conversation, but uh, Iris.." Arlo tapped his wrist while looking at his son, "the meeting."

"Oh yeah." Iris closed his eyes and groaned. "Do I have to go?" 

"Yes."

Iris crossed his arms and glared at the floor. "But Amilea is going to be there." Iris shivered thinking about calling her mother or mom, or even Queen. She wasn't any of those in his eyes. 

Arlo sighed and copied Iris by crossing his own arms over his chest. "You will barely have to interact with her. It won't be so bad." 

"I'd rather not be in the same room as her." Iris shook his head, not faltering his displeasure. 

"Well, you don't have a choice. Sorry." 

Iris rolled his eyes. "You're not," He muttered. He stood up while pulling his coat with him and tugged it back on. 

Arlo moved aside as Iris slipped past him and he sighed. Arlo told Kai what to do during the meeting, and with a nod, all three of them walked to his office. The usual were there, all fifteen seats were filled up and Iris was the last to sit down, right next to his mother. She smiled at him, cherry red lips curling with emptiness, and Iris ignored her. It took a lot to keep his back rigid and eyes pensive; curling his fingers in his palms helped mildly. He pressed them against his thighs and proceeded to nod like a robot, listen like he cared, and try not to let his eyes meander back to Kai, who stood by the door. 

After the hour and a half meeting was over, all the guests met in the dining room, recollecting their thoughts and sharing the ones that never got put into words. Arlo was talking with one of the generals while the other guests formed a circle and chatted themselves. Iris was hovering next to his dad and the general because he somehow ended up in their conversation. He was one sentence away from escaping when a heavily perfumed body stood next to him. Iris looked to his right to see a wicked red smile. Amilea loved her makeup.