T H I R T Y-S E V E N

Iris squeezed past his guests, avoiding their reaching hands like they were plagues. Only when he was outside did he swallow a big gulp of air as though he hadn't been breathing properly all day. The sun was just starting to sink behind the far mountains, casting right angle shadows across the side of the mansion and the leaf covered brick walkway. Autumn was nearing, yet it was still very warm outside.

It was bright enough to see where the prince was going but that didn't stop him from losing focus; blurring his vision all together.

Iris stared at his ground while he rushed down the walkway to get to the garden-his favorite garden-where hopefully his nurse was there waiting. Suddenly he looked up when a light gust of wind blew across his face, as if something inhumanly fast flew right by him. He glanced over his shoulder, looking for a blamable source. When he turned back forward..checking behind him was a mistake. Iris squeezed his eyes shut when another body came slamming into his.

Him and the other person, who he concluded was another male due to its more manly grunt of surprise, hit the floor and started rolling backwards. Apparently they both were running fairly fast, so the impact caused them to tumble on the ground.

Iris groaned when his back landed, finally, and he reached a hand up to clutch the side of his head. He parted his eyes slightly until he was blinking widely at the pair of ocean colored ones staring down at him. While he was on his back, the person that he bumped into was hovering over him awkwardly. Despite the position, Iris saw the crystal clear concern in the boy's eyes.

"I am so sorry," He apologized quickly, because he knew if he caused any harm, unintentional or not, to Iris, he was in huge trouble. Iris didn't personally know this. "Are you okay?"

Iris watched as the boy's eyes scanned him, and a strange rapid thump bashed against his ribs. He opened his mouth but no words would come out, so he resorted to nodding quickly. The boy sighed and Iris gazed at the fangs poking out of his mouth. He quickly scrambled back so the prince could sit up.

"I wasn't paying attention, I didn't know you were right in front of me." The vampire had incredible guilt in his tone, but Iris couldn't train his attention on his apologies. He only gazed at the boy like he was an ethereal being. Perhaps he hit his head too hard?

The vampire tilted his head, ready to express his sorry more, but was distracted by the other boy's appearance. He wore a fitting suit, which was a light black coat with a darker black shirt that had golden buttons on it. A yellow pin was over his heart, the color matched Iris's hair when it was glazed in sunlight(of course this vampire couldn't recall that detail.) With his very noble wardrobe, the boy could tell right away that Iris wasn't just a commoner or village person. That caused more guilt to plunge through him.

He opened his mouth this time to apologize again, but they both jumped when a woman's voice called out distantly.

"Iris, is that you?!"

The vampire relaxed, for he thought the woman wasn't speaking to them, but when the boy he hit reacted to the voice, he became tense again. He moved back more when Iris began climbing to his feet. The vampire watched as once Iris was ready to continue running in the direction he was going in, he spared a glance at him; it was thoughtful. Then he ran.

The vampire blinked at his disappearance, sighing as the lasting remorse bubbled in his system. He probably scared the human, which was the last thing he wanted to do. Especially today.

"Iris."

The boy flinched and turned ahead to see a woman stop in front of him. Sage. With narrowing eyes, Kai stood up while dusting off his pants. Sage had been messing around where she wasn't supposed to and when Kai found her, she booked it. Vampires can run at a very inhuman, particular speed-sometimes even they themselves don't see where they're going. The human boy was lucky to get off with no injuries. No, Kai was lucky he didn't.