T H I R T Y-F I V E

The vampire had black hair, or maybe it was a really dark brown, he couldn't tell. From where he stood slightly hidden behind a pillar on the balcony overlooking the group of vampires, it wasn't his fault he didn't have the greatest view. The boy leaned his head on the cylinder stone and sighed. He was hypnotized by the vampire's eyes, as well, when he caught sight of them. They were a beautiful ocean blue and their secondary color was a mesmerizing navy. The boy was going to venture further, expose himself, but he was startled before he could.

"Young prince! Get over here right now!"

The boy turned when he heard his nurse's harsh whisper. Allison wore a long black dress with white sleeves, which waved as she motioned over to him.

"You know you can't be here."

"I'm doing no harm. I'm just watching."

"Well, it's prohibited until you're sixteen. Why even explore here?"

The prince made a disagreeing face. "I can't interact with them until I'm sixteen. I don't think it's a sin if I simply watch them."

The nurse sighed and walked up to him, lifting her dress in the process so she didn't trip. She stood next to him and peered down at the training vampires. "What is it with you and the vampires? You asked about them a few days ago, and now you're here every chance of the day."

The prince rolled his eyes, "Is there something just so wrong with watching them?"

"I know it's a casual thing but I just want to specify that you observe them a bit..often than most."

"How could I when I'm practically buried under paper all day?"

"Oh!" The nurse suddenly perked up, "That reminds me, you have unfinished work." The nurse grabbed the prince's shoulders and started steering him to one of the exits to the balcony.

"Why did I have to say anything?"

The nurse chuckled and held his arm while they walked, not wanting to risk him slipping away. Again.

"Your father is very stern about you completing your work."

"How is doing all this going to prepare me? A King protects his kingdom," The prince suddenly jerked away from his nurse. "How do I do that if I don't train?"

The nurse frowned, "You aren't implying what I think you are..are you?"

When the prince tilted his head the nurse rushed up to him, "You want to train with the vampires!?" She whispered it like it was dangerous to mutter out loud.

"What? No. I'm just saying all I do is work all day. It's boring. Isn't there more to a King?"

"Sure there is."

Iris and his nurse glance up the stairs when a much more authoritative voice answered his question. He frowned up at his dad, the King

"You just have to go through the boring stuff first."

"Of course." Iris said bitterly and turned away from Allison and started walking up the stairs, past his dad.

"Iris. Can you stop ignoring me for once?!"

The prince paused, glancing at Arlo, before scoffing and continuing up.

The King and Iris's nurse, glanced at each other when they heard his door slam shut all the way from upstairs. Arlo gave the nurse a small smile, tired smile. "Was he watching the guards again?"

"Yes. I do wonder why he's so interested in them."

"He's just curious. Besides the other royals that hardly visit, some of those vampires are close to his age."