T H I R T Y-O N E

"I'm beginning to realize why we were a little happy you left."

In the training hall, the corners were the only place where the sunlight didn't quite touch. There were wooden beams stretching across creating an extra, and visible support systems.

A few vampires lounged on them like bats in a cave.

Kai grinned over at Cyrus, who just confessed through a complaint. They had finished a training session not even five minutes ago and Kai's underlings were panting messes that sent glares of daggers at him. He only accepted them with a smile.

"Why, because I'm actually making you work?"

Cyrus turned her head with an unamused look. "Excuse me, we worked everyday. Just not so hard we were practically killing ourselves."

Kai chuckled and glanced back up at the ceiling. He was laying on his back on one of the wooden beams, hands linked behind his head and right leg crossed over his left. He missed reclining with the other guards, doing absolutely nothing but talking about everything.

"I got to say I'm impressed with how good you've all gotten to be. Even though we practiced together a few days ago, having all my focus on you guys showed me a lot."

"I still need to work on my knife throwing skills."

"Shay's really good at that."

"She's lucky she gets to work in the mansion, too."

Kai sighed and shifted his legs so his left was now over his right. "It's not all grand as it sounds. Iris was the only good part about the job."

Cyrus furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at the vampire, "You had access to most of the rooms though, didn't you? The kitchen, the library?"

"I guess, but only if I said it was for his sake...which occasionally wasn't the case."

"Of course. And what exactly did you do when the prince worked?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Yeah. See, pretty boring."

Cyrus hummed, "But worth it."

When Kai parted his lips to continue their conversation, the door to the training hall opened and the noises bellow them died, which made them both glance down.

Kai immediately narrowed his eyes at Zoe's own body guard who entered with curious eyes. Surprisingly he looked up seconds later, as if he knew exactly where Kai was.

The vampire jumped down, crossing the building to him in a matter of seconds.

"Hyde, right?" He asked, crossing his arms in front of the guard.

Hyde nodded then looked Kai up and down. "You're King says you fight well."

Kai cocked an eyebrow up at the sudden statement. "What about it?"

"Well enough to kill the new vampires?"

Kai instantly narrowed his eyes at Hyde, the distrust making the hairs on the back of his neck rise. The foreign guard soften his features and took a step back, seeing how threatening Kai turned in a snap of a finger.

"I've heard rumors they're here, that's all. It's my job to protect my princess, but if she is to become bonded with your prince, that responsibility transfers."

"You expect me to care about a stranger?"

"I expect nothing of you. You are just as much of a stranger to both of us."