T W O

It may have been sweat glistening his skin, but it mirrored sunlight dripping down his jaw and striking the well-tended green grass.

Iris took the hem of his shirt and wiped his nose while wheezing.

"Perhaps I worked you too hard?"

Falling on the grass with a heavy sigh, Iris sprawled like a starfish and refused to meet his innocent-looking guard's eyes.

"My father agreed to exceed the training by two hours. So tell me, Kai, why did we train for six!" Iris's voice gradually grew until he was yelling at the unfazed vampire.

"I'd call it..getting lost in the moment. But, uh, sir-" Kai stepped over the prince and poked his exposed abdomen with the end of a wooden sword, making him groan shortly. "-You didn't complain until you realized you were loosing."

Iris smacked the sword away, "That's not true."

"No? Then tell me why we trained for six hours?"

"Because you distracted me! You're fairly good at that."

Kai shrugged, "It's a given. Anyway, we are done here, I'm sure your body is already feeling the effects." He innocently scanned Iris's figure from his eyes to his dirtied boots, and Iris didn't bat an eye, even when the vampire did it slowly.

"Never thought you'd say that. Can you help me?" Iris extended his arms out for Kai to pull him up, which he did quite easily. Though their hands remained connected due to Iris being numb on his legs. "Ugh. Good thing I only have desk work to do."

"Mmm..actually your schedule has been changed, Iris."

"What?"

"Miss Rose is coming over for lunch. You need to attend."

"But..but I have work."

"Despite your father's words this morning, I will do the organizing for you, but I cannot sign your own consent."

"You'll do that for me?" Iris widened his eyes so optimistically it hurt Kai like the glaring sun did when he stayed in it too long. But this pain he liked.

Kai sighed, "I'm just following orders."

"Oh."

"It's a joke," Kai smirked, "I offered before he could order."

Iris exhaled in relief. "Thank you, Kai. For an undead man, you have a warm heart." The young prince patted Kai's chest where his organ would be and mimicked his smirk.

"You'd be an awful jester."

Iris broke into laughter as he wobbled past Kai, who shook his head.

After Kai put up their equipment and secured the training center they made their way down the echoing, chaotic corridors scurrying with maids and servants trying to tend the already spotless floors and walls. As though they could see micro-sized dust particles, they frequently cleaned till their fingers ached.

Kai watched in amusement as Iris had to walk like an old man up the stairs, gripping the railing and taking one step at a time as they made their way up the twirling grand staircase.

"Perhaps you have met the "elder" stage, in which sir is appropriate now?"

Iris stopped mid-step. If he had a cane or any weapon, the vampire's face would have been the perfect target.

"Shut up, Kai."

"Yes, sir." He smirked as he walked past him.

Screw it, Iris thought.