T W E L V E

"N-new generation?" Iris repeated in a strained voice. That rang a bell in his memory but he didn't have the time to refresh as the monster above started pushing down on him harder. "Who cares," Iris grunted and surprised the vampire when he responded in strength. He pushed him up enough to snake a leg between them and he kicked the man harshly in the stomach.

He flew back coughing.

"You can still bleed." Sitting up, Iris watched as fear and gruesome amusement filled the vampire's eyes. Death swam between them as blood started to trickle down from the man's throat, left hand desperately trying to cover its spewing while his right reached helplessly for the blood ridden blade between the prince and his dying body.

Decapitation works like a charm against vampires, then toss them into the sun. However Iris made do with the small blade he had in his coat, and skillfully lacerated the vampire's throat while he kicked him off. He listened to him cough and wheeze, watched him tremble and die until the large blood puddle next to his head stopped, pronouncing him dead. 

The prince hissed at the pain his whole body ached with. From the fall to being thrown around like a doll, then his shoulder, which he knew was bleeding. But he did not regret locking Kai in the shed-even when he came face to face with his angered yet highly concerned face. 

"Are you alright? Where are you hurt?" His injuries perturbed Kai, and his questions ranged from worry to, "You're an idiot. You should've waited for me," then to, "good job." Then back to nervousness. 

"I'm okay..I think." But Iris knew Kai wouldn't be taking any of his reassurance any time soon. He watched him sigh heavily and sit next to him but stay tense and alerted.

"I'm sorry," Kai brushed weak and fallen strands of hair out of Iris's eyes, while looking awfully regretful. "I-" 

"No, no don't be sorry. I handled it." Iris pointed at the dead vampire rotting in front of them with a sense of pride. He was proud of himself; considering he just killed one of the new generations. "Please, Kai, I locked you in and did this to myself, don't apologize. Be angry."

"Oh I am angry." 

Iris gulped, and along with the anxious feeling came a strong taste of something metallic. When he licked his lips he realized his bottom had a whine-worthy cut near the corner. 

"What? What's wrong?" Kai, again, replaced his hands on Iris's face and examined him even if seeing his bruises and cuts pained him. 

"My lip," He winced when his tongue touched it. Swallowing another pinch of blood made something strike inside him. He covered his mouth and looked up at Kai. "Are you even okay being around me? I mean my shoulder is bleeding." He felt small streaks soak through his shirts where the vampire had harshly dug his nails in. Kai frowned. 

"That's definitely the least of our worries, but yes, I'm fine. Seeing how you are not, we need to go." 

But oddly enough, they couldn't. Because more and more memories and facts piled on top of Iris's already wobbly figure. "No." 

"No?"

"We need to find April and..and the girl. This was their house wasn't it?" 

Kai looked down with furrowed eyebrows as if in deep thought. Iris watched him close his eyes with a distressed sigh. He drew back a hand and used his index finger to point to his nose.

"The smell." They both recalled the burnt residue. "I looked around and..I think I found the source."

"Okay.." Iris shook his head, hissing as he struggled to stand up. His mind was two steps behind and he wasn't understanding. Kai allowed him to stand and find his balance before he continued.