T E N

The party thrived and stayed awake until three o'clock the next day-it started at five. And this was only day one.

Maids and servants were pressured with cleaning, and the King made some of the vampires help as well. They all wanted to refuse, of course, but their loyal side gave in.

The mansion was large enough to house all the guests and then some. But a few stayed in rent houses in the villages.

As voices and footsteps and hallways awoke, Iris fixed his crumbled up paper, making it somewhat smoother, and threw it with a forceful arm so it reached his guard in his room; however it dropped to the floor feet away from its target.

"You throw like a child."

Iris narrowed his eyes at the vampire, "I'm sorry, I throw better with my right arm but-or yeah-" Iris jerked his right hand up and a loud sound of chains clinking found their ears. A shackle hugged his wrist with chains so longer than two feet.

From his bed where the chains connected to his bed frame, he peered at Kai, who laid sideways on his floor, propped up by his elbow near the door way.

"And I'd get the paper but-" This time Kai kicked his foot, making an identical metal clang sound which Iris couldn't see but he was aware of, the shackle around Kai's ankle.

Iris sighed and rested his head against his dark wooden headboard.

When the guards finally caught their secret rendezvous-twice-the King expressed both his disappointmnet and impressed feeling, but then had no choice but to expel Iris out of the party. Taking no chances, they cuffed him to his bed. An hour later Kai and another guard sauntered in. They cuffed him to his bed and left-with the mistake of not shutting the door.

In their period, chaining someone to something was a simple slap on the wrist for bad behavior.

So, private meet ups turned into a fun fest; two devious smirks only feet away from each other.

It was fun, until they forgot to remove the chains. Not a beat of sleep was given.

"Reach, I wrote something."

"Passing notes in class is bad," Kai teased yet got on his hands and knees to reach the paper. His fingertips grazed the edges before he flinched forward and scooped it in his hand. With a light sigh he sat back up and unraveled it, or only one flap, before Iris's bedroom door opened and Sage walked in. She paused in the doorway, eyes flicking to the cuff around the prince's wrist, then towards Kai's room.

"Has rescue arrived?" Kai's sarcastic laced voice asked out. It was more amusing because Sage couldn't see him, only hear his relief.

"And breakfast." Sage shut the door with her feet and walked in with a tray, two large circular lids covering the food and one glass of green tea sitting on top. She placed it on Iris's nightstand and dug through her pocket. "Your mother overheard your forbidden meetings," She glanced at Kai and talked loud enough so they could both hear,"and thought keeping you locked up would be good discipline." Once she unlocked the shackle and tugged it off she gestured to the tray. "Food was my idea."

Iris shook his head in disbelief, "Now she treats us like circus animals?"

Sage patted his knee before making her way over to Kai. She dug through a pocket inside her coat before pulling out a pouch with liquid sloshing inside. "A gift." She held it out to him and he took with a nod of his head.

"Thanks." But Sage didn't move, causing Kai to look up.

"Do you want more?" she asked, hearing the faint uncertainty in his voice before it was absorbed in gratefulness.