T W E N T Y-S I X

It was like slowly being pulled under a large current of water. It was an empty fall, no sound and no way to vocalize his terror. It was dark, too, only a glimpse of a silver, wavering light above him. But Kai didn't try to reach out and even attempt to grasp that glare of white. The situation set in like a wild fire in him, and he closed his eyes and accepted his hallucinated fate.

As the water fizzled yet calmed around him, as those invisible hands that submerged him further down into the depths stopped..he floated. Abnormally, Kai's body didn't react to the piercing coldness of the water; because it wasn't.

The second he tore his eyes open that gleam of trembling surface light grew closer to him. The faster he was being pulled up and the popping in his ears reversed, he began hearing muffled voices.

Kai heard his name as he neared the silver light, once its deepness and undistinguishable tone was filtered, he was out of his instincts that were swallowing him whole.

He was no more surrounded by waves of blue and a hushing peacefulness. He was pulled out to face his reality-one this time he didn't want to accept.

Kai was pulled back to find his fangs penetrating into a neck. Feasting on yearning blood.

He widened his eyes and seized his actions. That odd, unexpected emotion came running back to him. A great enjoyment tasting something he's wanted for so long, and then there's the guilt-oh, the remorse was so intense it stopped his heartbeat.

Kai jerked his body back but he felt arms wrap around his shoulders and a hand gently press against the back of his head.

"It's okay." The same muffled tone he heard ascending back into reality became lucid now. And he didn't know if it was the settling guilt that made his vision blurry. Or if is was actually tears.

"It's okay." The voice repeated.

Kai swallowed a lump in his throat as he inched back less hurriedly and made contact with unfazed hazel eyes. They were empty with pain, but filled with compassion and empathy.

He had to look away almost instantly. Seeing how he wasn't perturbed at all made his heart squeeze. Kai covered his face with his arm despite Iris trying to pry it away.

"I'm so sorry."

"No, please don't be." Iris managed to pull the vampire's arm down to cup his face. "Look at me." But Kai now refused to open his eyes. "Kai," Iris wrapped his arms around his tense shoulders again and sighed. "I'm okay..if that's what you're worried about."

Kai pressed his lips against Iris's shirt. Something wet dripping onto it. "Why would you let me do that?"

Iris widened his eyes but before he could utter a word the door to the vampire's room open and they both looked up. Their image was of startled deer, especially seeing who was standing in the doorway just feet from them.

††

Iris had practically chewed off his fingernails watching his dad observe the vampires they gathered in the training hall. Sage kept giving him reassuring side glances even though she was just as nervous as he. At the very least Kai acted like a normal person. Moved like an animated corpse, but he behaved naturally; which means not obvious.

Which is why they were both so on edge. Arlo thankfully abandoned his qualm upon witnessing Kai's innocent atmosphere. He simply smiled at him and moved on with his roll call.

Afterwards, Iris and Sage aimed for the droopy vampire and escorted him out of the building like their lives depended on it. Still, Iris was cautious. It was good Kai wasn't lashing out or even sparing signs that he might, but he was just kind of..lost. He stared at the floor the whole time and refused to react to any of the prince's touches.