F I V E

The next day after the border ordeal things were returning to normal; whatever normal looked like in the mansion.

At exactly seven o'clock, Kai starting waking Iris up. One day of sleeping in was a luxury he was thankful for, but now business called and he was back on duty.

After the fifth time calling his name and the third shove, Iris finally sulked his way out of bed, but with drowsiness that could knock him back into his duvet and dreamy consciousness.

Kai sat at the edge of Iris's made bed and truly felt he was watching a sloth get ready, or a slow, poor time laps.

Iris would be buttoning his shirt then practically get distracted by his hands while doing it. He picked at his nails until Kai yelled at him to hurry. They were like a married couple, bickering and playfully teasing each other throughout the day.

"You're practically begging me to choke you with that tie. Hurry!"

"Excuse me, turtles cannot be rushed," Iris muttered back but in a stating-a-fact type of way. Without looking up from his task, he turned his body so Kai could see how slow he continued to knot his tie. A satisfied smile spread across his face.

"Maybe if you threaten them enough."

"Well, I'd like to see you try. I don't respond bad to threats."

"Blackmail?"

"My files are clean," With a smirk, Iris winked at his impatient bodyguard before taking a coat off a chair near the bathroom and slipped it on. "Bite me if I care, my tempo stays."

"If I could I would," He grumbled under his breath. "Are you ready now?"

"Yes. And kudos to your patience."

Kai didn't reply back but got off the bed with a tired sigh.

"Oh wait, my shoes."

You could say Kai's ice thin patience broke when he slammed his head on the door with defeat and anger. Iris had to push him aside like moving a building block.

"I was only kidding. Cheer up, you princess." Iris gave Kai a single pat on the back before trotting outside his room and into the long hallways.

††

"It was a success!"

In the training hall, the King's excitement echoed off the walls and threw relief in the air. As soon as his son and his guard got close he repeated his action from the day before. Gripping Kai's shoulders and shaking him with a burst of bellowing laughter.

"Don't tell my wife this, but I'm in your debt."

"Oh, you don't have to do that sir, that's very unnecessary-"

"Don't worry about it. Anything you need, just once, I'm there." The King didn't give the vampire time to object as he turned to face the other thirty lined up in a straight row.

"I congratulated you all on the offer of my good mood. And for that, you're training right now."

Small but noticeable groans left several fanged mouths as some glance up at the large windows sparing tinted sunlight into the center. The first class and usually second-class guards always trained at night.

The praise was enough kindness from the King. It was business from now on.

"You always exceed my own predictions or demands. But it comes close half the time and that stat is something I wish not to see. More sunlight training, more hours, better results, am I clear on this?"