S I X T Y-T W O

Immediately, Kai regretted his decision. Something punched him in the guts as soon as the King opened the door, and even though his nerves told him to back out he couldn't move, or run, or back out.

So, instead, he mentally took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

"I believe we need to talk, sir," Kai said, trying not to sound too nervous.

Arlo looked surprised at first. He looked passed Kai, expecting to see Iris or just about anyone accompanying him, but it was only Kai.

"I have to say, of all people I didn't expect you to be at my door at this time."

Kai then remembered it was fairly late. Only at night could he meet with Annesa.

"Right. I apologize, I wasn't paying attention. Perhaps tomorrow–"

"No, no, right now is perfect. I don't plan to sleep any time soon."

Kai nodded and linked his hands in front of him. "Uh, here?"

"Sure. Come in." Arlo opened his door wider before walking back into his room. Never had a vampire stepped inside his room, so Kai was more cautious then honored. He shut the door quietly behind him and hovered by it while he watched Arlo sit down on his bed. The color scheme in his room was vaguely similar to Iris's. They both had simple taste. Except his walls were a dark gray and the room itself was much, much bigger. It made Kai feel small as well as ponder why he needed all the room.

When Arlo was settled Kai aimed for a chair that was next to a bookcase. He pulled it away before taking a seat. Arlo chuckled.

"So far away?"

The two were sitting almost on opposite sides of the room. Kai appreciated Arlo's welcoming attitude, but he didn't feel like the situation needed the comedy. He looked down at his hands and sighed.

"Sir, I know you saw us. I feel as though it's me who should talk about it properly with you first." When Kai looked up, he didn't expect the King to have a smile on his face. However, it wasn't a smile he was used to seeing.

"Kai, before you start, let me ask you a question. What do you think I want to hear? Do you want me to hear you apologize profoundly for being with my son? Apologize that you've broken a rule and that you recognize your mistakes? Or do you think I want you to be unapologetic? Be proud that you're with my son and say that, no matter the rules, you care for him and always will? Before you say anything, think about it."

Kai's skin became as pale as ever. Was that a trick question? Was it a trap? Only two options and yet one wrong answer could lead to a doom he didn't want to experience. Kai looked back down and squeezed the fabric on his pants.

Apologize and hope the King will forgive him. Or be proud of who it is he loves and hope the King respects it...

Kai raised his head and stared directly at Arlo.

"I'll apologize for breaking a rule, but not for who it is I broke it for. I can't be sorry for loving your son, sir, I just can't. I'm very honored to be his." 

Kai realized that the deeper he thought about the question, the deeper he sunk from the truth. His truth may be different from what Arlo wanted to hear, but it was his decision to answer with his truth, and not a lie.

The smile on the King's face became familiar. An accepting curl of his lips. Kai could recall the first time he saw the expression. It was when he was brought in to become a guard. And the first thing he saw was a welcoming and accepting smile from the King.

It was as indirect as it could be and that's what made Kai let out a sigh of relief.

"Good answer," Arlo said. His voice was careful and reassuring, like a vocal too high would cause Kai's glass-like caution to shatter. "Kai, I've always had high expectations for you. High but not decided. I thought I'd just let you grow on your own and take a step back. I decided not to bombard you with commands until you were in the position I wanted you to be in, mainly because I didn't know what that position was. I can't say your relationship with my son doesn't surprise me but I will say it does bring me relief."