F I F T Y-T W O

When Kai and Sage searched the gardens, they eventually found Iris and Zoe hanging out in the garden with the rose bushes. Their talking and laughter led them straight to the middle.

The two were sitting on a bench under a tree, completely oblivious to Kai and Sage, who were hiding behind a bush a good distance away.

As they watched for a few minutes, Sage finally glanced at Kai with a skeptical look.

"I mean, are you sure this is the Zoe he was talking about?" Sage asked, narrowing her eyes.

"It's too coincidental. It has to be."

"But her?" Sage gestured towards the princess. "She doesn't look evil."

"Does not mean she isn't. It's just for show."

Sage looked at Kai and saw him glaring intently at Zoe. She rolled her eyes and decided not to push further since he was clearly on edge.

"Well, she's a good actor then."

In Sage's eyes, Zoe looked nowhere near an evil vampire leader. She looked and acted too kind, and if she truly wanted to hurt Iris, Sage couldn't imagine why she was taking her sweet time. So what did Zoe really want?

Zoe said something the two vampires couldn't hear that made Iris chuckle, and that made Kai sigh beside Sage.

She glanced over and noticed his anger had dropped and instead a confused expression took over.

He sighed again. "Why does he have to smile like that with her?" he mumbled.

Sage bit back a smirk. "Don't tell me you're jealous."

Kai didn't look away. "I don't get jealous," he answered quickly. "I just don't like this situation."

"Well, I wouldn't worry about him catching feelings, he's totally gay for you." Sage caught Kai rolling his eyes. "But if she really is just human, by the looks of it, it seems that our prince might not hate marrying her as much as before."

Kai didn't want to admit it but he thought something similar. Iris did look more comfortable with her, and since Kai couldn't see passed his disguise it was safe to say Iris wasn't wearing one. His smiles were genuine, even if he tried to push them down two seconds later it came back. He was opening up to her hurtfully quicker than he did with Kai.

With a small growl, Kai stood up from crouching down and attempted to come out of hiding when Sage grabbed his hand and pulled him down.

She shook her head at him. "Don't you dare," she warned.

"I'm not going to just sit back and watch him be manipulated!" Kai hissed back, jerking his hand away.

"Kai, I don't know what's going through your head right now but this is not the time to let your jealousy rage."

"I'm not jealous!"

Both Kai and Sage freeze in their spots as his voice echoed out and Zoe's voice yards away from them came to a stop. Kai quickly slapped a hand over his mouth and Sage glared at him.

They heard shuffling before someone called out.

"Kai?"

Using his eyes, Kai begged for Sage's help. She shook her head and held up her hands, saying 'I don't know' and 'you're on your own'. Kai groaned before standing up, his head poking above the tall bush they stalked behind.

"Hi."

Iris furrowed his eyebrows and watched Kai glare at something down to his right side, and he shook his head.