F I F T Y

"You know, in my kingdom we have whole fields that grow Irises. Kind of coincidental, huh?"

Iris looked at Zoe with an arched eyebrow. "They must be very pretty."

Zoe chuckled and nodded strongly. "Oh very."

When the clouds kindly formed together and covered part of the sun, it was nice enough to enjoy a stroll down the walkway without feeling the stress of sweat stick on their skins. Iris was once again forced to get to know Zoe, and he almost felt guilty for wanting nothing to do with her. Almost. She was kindhearted, but something fierce was tucked away in her eyes, Iris saw that right away. She wasn't as soft spoken as she appeared, Zoe had a soft rasp to her voice that she happened to get embarrassed over out of nowhere. It made Iris smile.

Zoe was also very beautiful; fair, pale skin, lustrous and thick hair. Her smile glowed and her giggled sparkled her eyes. If Iris was attracted to females, he'd definitely be okay with her being his to be wife. But he wasn't and he didn't like how being around her made him smile, or want to. Then again, maybe it was a good thing that he was comfortable around her.

The two found themselves wandering on the path leading to the gardens. White cherry blossoms littered the stones as they were brushed off by the breeze, and Zoe couldn't help but compliment how beautiful Iris's kingdom was, better yet the scenery behind his mansion. She didn't talk about her own very much, and always turned the conversation around when Iris mentioned it. He didn't bother asking why, though. They stopped when Zoe wanted to look at a bush growing pink colored roses, which was located in the second garden they came across.

"I know I don't talk much about myself, but that's only because I really want to get to know you." Zoe looked up from plucking a rose off its stem and she smiled kindly at Iris. "You don't mind, right?"

Iris shook his head though deep down he wanted to say yes. "Ask away."

Zoe's smile widened and she turned to face the rest of the garden. "I want to know your opinions about the vampires." Then she glanced at him. "Sorry if that's too straight forward, I don't like sugarcoating a conversation that will tell me what I wish to know."

It would be a lie to say Iris wasn't surprised by her tone. It was determined just like the glint in her eyes. He straightened his back and proceeded to keep an unbothered mask on. He cleared his throat and wandered further inside.

"You want to know my opinions about them?"

"Yes. Truthfully, if you don't mind. I won't judge."

"What is there to judge?" Iris asked.

"Well, some, uh, some of us quite like the vampires. They are a friend and not a slave. I won't judge you if you think that way; I don't see them as a foe."

"Ah," Iris acknowledged. "Well, I don't see them as a foe, either. At least the ones I know I don't. I do consider them my friends. Someone I can rely on."

Zoe smiled at Iris before looking down at her rose. "If there were a vampire that was in need of your help, would you help them?"

"It depends on what they ask of me. But I'd try."

She nodded.

"What about you?"

"I'd certainly try as well."

Iris nodded to her words and a moment of silence was shared. The only sound was of the trees and bushes shivering in the breeze, their footsteps, and Zoe picking the petals off her rose.

She dropped them as they walked, making a scattered trail. Then suddenly she stopped.

Iris halted a few steps away when he noticed she did, and turned around. Zoe was staring at the half naked rose with her bottom lip between her teeth. The sight made Iris tilt his head.