T H I R T Y-N I N E

Iris felt pain, but not from the weapon piercing right through his skull, but in his shoulder and only from being tackled to the floor.

Iris was ready to push away the attacker, but when the person turned him over, words were already spewing out of his mouth.

"You again?!"

Kai lowered his eyebrows, his ocean eyes now navy and as dark as a treacherous sea. "Don't sound so happy, prince."

Iris was going to question the vampire but he abruptly leaped away from him to take down the one that attacked first.

A rogue vampire, slim and crazy eyed, hissed at Kai and attempted to attack. Iris watched as Kai effortlessly got behind the rogue, grabbed his head, and twisted it. Though that wasn't going to kill him, it would paralyze him.

Iris widened his eyes and looked up, staring at the dagger stabbed into the wall. His legs were wobbly as he stood up and he ripped the dagger from the wall.

"Hey!" He called out, getting Kai's attention. Iris threw him the dagger, perfectly as though he practiced, and Kai caught it. He gripped the rogue's hair and with one swipe, decapitated him. Iris grimaced as he watched the vampire's body twitch and jerk before falling onto the floor, blood oozing from his neck. Kai tossed its head off to the side and wiped the blade clean.

"Nice throw." He said and did a double take on Iris's expression. He studied the frozen prince with a tilt of his head. Iris had wide eyes, looking almost petrified.

Some sort of realization came over him and he pointed at that dead body.

"Oh...were you not supposed to see that?" Kai didn't know if that was a rule or not. The prince only turned sixteen a day ago, he didn't know if he could handle things like this yet.

Iris blinked out of his daze and directed his stare over at Kai. "What? No-I mean I could..it's..I'm not scared." He pushed himself off the wall and stood up straight, "I'm...impressed."

"Impressed?" Kai wiped the blade of the dagger again, as if subconsciously.

"Well, I've always known what you guys did-witnessed it even-but you made it look so easy." When Iris finished, he found himself standing right next to Kai. They were close to the same height, Iris's eyes stopped directly at the vampire's nose. Iris wished he could compare their builds, but Kai had a lot more muscle than him. It wasn't until Kai shuffled his feet did the prince realize he was staring at him. Technically they were both staring at each other, but Iris got more flustered.

He cleared his throat and looked around, his original task at hand suddenly coming back to him like a curling wave. Iris widened his eyes and jumped.

"My dad!"

Kai watched as Iris rushed to the stairs but he grabbed his elbow before he could fling himself down them.

"Whoa, wait! You shouldn't be out here. It's too dangerous for you."

"I have to find my dad." Iris protested and jerked away from Kai, even though his heart was freaking out at their interaction.

"The King is fine."

Iris paused on the first step down. He glanced at the vampire with narrowed eyes. "How do you know?"

"The King was our first priority. He is being escorted back as we speak."

"How many rogues were there?"

"Four attacked the mansion. I took care of two, includes this one," Kai pointed over his shoulder, "and I ordered other guards to handle the rest."