T W E N T Y-T H R E E

By the time the sky was at its darkest and the stars twinkled like sparks, Iris and Kai had fallen asleep on the roof. Technically Kai was still awake, his conscience wavered, but he was awake. Iris wouldn't know and he certainly didn't notice the small circles that Kai drew in his arm with his thumb.

The vampire was stuck between wanting Iris to see how affectionate he could be and not wanting him to know at all. He wanted things to work between them and letting Iris see his vulnerable side was a part of that process; he just didn't know if he was really ready for that. Even though he wanted it a year ago, actually having it now gave him second thoughts.

Kai opened his eyes when Iris stirred next to him. They were still in the same position, Iris's head on his chest and his arms around the prince. His ear was right over his heart and every time he moved it would speed up, he grew nervous it would wake him, but eventually he learned to tame it.

He looked down at his peaceful expression. Iris probably talked until he wore himself out and it amused Kai at how easily he could just fall asleep, while it took a few minutes for him unless he was really tired.

He didn't want to ever see such a face be torn in sorrow or drown in frustration. Kai so desperately wished he could do more than just wing his advise. He sighed and slowly sat up, slipping away and out from under Iris.

Kai stayed still, watching Iris. When he didn't wake he slipped his hands under his legs and his head to lift him up. Apparently this was a reoccurring process.

Just as Kai turned in the direction of the balcony bellow them a quick gleam of light caught his attention. He looked up and squinted at a blinking source of light out in the village. It was faint, no human eye would've been able to notice it. The way it was hallow, it was a reflection of some sort.

Kai flinched and looked down when Iris raised a hand to rub his eye. Kai brought him closer to his chest before jumping down onto the balcony. He made sure his movements were smooth and steady for Iris as he walked him back to his room.

Upon laying Iris on his bed Kai's mind was elsewhere but not too far from the sleeping boy. He gazed at Iris before diverting his eyes to the window. All his nerves pulpsed and influenced his mind to make his next action. He lightly ruffled Iris's hair before stepping away from him.

"Sorry, prince." With his whisper followed his disappearance from the room.

To be perfectly honestly, Kai had no idea what he was doing or what he planned to do. But the way his body itched for answers was something he couldn't overlook, so in minutes he was back on the roof waiting for the night patrol to pass by. He knew their schedule, when they checked the front of the mansion, the back, and who does it. As of right now, he just had to wait.

He watched the two closely, they talked while also scanning the area, even checking the roof where Kai was remaining hidden. After a few minutes one of the guards started walking away; just what Kai wanted.

The guard who stayed behind started wandering over to where he was. Kai jumped down onto a lower roof, paused, then silently lowered to the ground. The vampire had his back facing Kai, so sneaking up to him was about the easiest thing in the world.

In a snap of a finger, Kai swooped in and wrapped his arms around the guard's neck. He covered his mouth while tightening his arm. The guard barely had time to struggled before his conscience slipped. Kai lowered him to ground and smirked.

"Still got it." He whispered and glanced around before running towards the fence. Leaping over it was effortless. Sometimes he underestimated himself, and he needed that confidence for what he's about to face.