S I X T E E N

Blushing. He was blushing again.

Crossing her left leg over her right, Sage watched in secret as the prince and his guard interacted in ways enough to intrigue the female vampire. They sat in the grand living room, bar by the doors, fireplace and couches opposite of the small prep kitchen. There were these massive windows off to the left where two glass doors led out directly into one of the gardens.

As Sage sat on one of the stools at the bar, she observed with a smile.

Every time Kai would accidentally brush his hand over Iris's, the human would jump away, leaving Kai confused and Iris blushing. Every time he'd lean in close to talk, poor Iris's face would grow hotter and redder than before, until he had to scoot away possibly claiming it was stuffy. Sage couldn't read their lips and the room was so massive she could only hear their mumbles very faintly, but not enough to make out any sentenses.

As the clock ticked, Sage was surprised no maids or servants came into the living room to check on them. It was just those three and occasionally a cook would wander into the small kitchen to get something or leave something. It was just a curious female servant and two males working on paperwork.

While she watched, Sage couldn't help but let her mind trial back to her love interest. Lilly. The maid was clumsy and almost too peppy for the vampire. She was pretty, short blonde hair with distinct freckles and sparkling blue eyes. Her figure was petite but cherishing. The way Sage's name left her lips, made a pleasant tingle shoot through her spine.

The vampire was swirling her straw in her cup with closed eyes and a growing smile as she daydreamed about the maid, missing the event leading Iris bolting out of the living room and slamming the door shut. Sage jumped when the large door closed and she studied her surroundings.

Kai was leaning on a coffee table, arms crossed and head buried in them. Sage put her drink down and slid off the stool.

"Hey, what happened? I missed it." She plopped down on the couch behind Kai and crossed her arms, waiting for the silent vampire to explain.

"I don't know what's going on, Sage." Kai's voice was muffled in his arms but Sage could hear his confusion like he was yelling at her.

"I think I know what's happening."

"No, this isn't about our..tension you think we have." Kai picked his head up and turned around, leaning his back against the table as he talked up to Sage. "He's acting like he's scared of me."

"I wouldn't say scared, maybe-"

"No, Sage. I told him about the blood."

Sage wasn't the demure type, she was boastful and cocky, but in that moment even her thoughts grew meek.

"Oh.."

"Yeah. I think that's why he's trying to avoid me. I think I missed up."

"No, no, hey let's think about this." Sage got off the couch and sat on the floor so she was eye level with Kai and their legs would overlap if either has them were stretched instead of bent up to their chests. "Iris has never feared you, even when you've gave him the greatest reason to. He's a very open minded person."

"Exactly. Which means he's probably thought about it more than once and realized he's safer away from me."

"Kai. How long have you buried your urges? It's been years. I think if you tell him that he'll notice there's nothing to be nervous about. Plus, it's Iris we're talking about, he'd never give you this treatment without a proper reason."

Kai looked down at his hands, he was pinching the skin between his index and his thumb-like he did when he was nervous-enough to wince at the pressure.