T W E N T Y-T W O

There were times when the Queen was busy with her beauty sleep and the King was engulfed in papers and the smell of ink. Times when no one supervised for a good hour or so. Times where the vampires conspired to overtake the humans, violently and ruthlessly...

Not really.

Instead they were rough playing and talking and laughing. Times that were poorly scarce and valuable. Most of them had gathered in groups that were spread out and they talked amongst themselves.

Outside, Kai exhaled an exhausted breath even though he had energy to waste and would still have an exceeded amount. He sat on a branch shaded by the abundant leaves, his legs dangled and his eyes scurried. The tall sap tree that hugged against the side of the training building gave him nearly a perfect view of half of their first village. One would have to stand on the mansion's roof to see the whole first village and just a glimpse of the second.

On the streets, the humans looked like ants. Bugs with a mission as though they really have their lives in check. Observing them even from afar, the vampire was envious of their liveliness and their lack of knowledge about what happens behind the close doors in the mansion.

He sighed out, "How do you do it Sunday?" Kai looked over to his right where the large vampire sat next to him, a blood bag in his hand. He looked down at it, already catching on to Kai's question.

He shrugged and took another drink.

"Don't you ever get tired of it?"

Sunday used his free hand to point up then he tapped his wrist. Their sign for "All the time."

Because he couldn't speak and since the vampires were naturally mischievous, instead of using the original human sign language they made up their own. They had a whole unique system that only they could understand and decipher. It was beneficial and very entertaining to use amongst themselves when workers were around.

Kai sighed again, "Do ever think about breaking the rules because you want it so bad?"

Sunday glanced at Kai for a moment before shaking his head and pointed towards the village, where, coincidentally, a group of laughing children were running on the main road. Kai looked back at him for an explanation.

Sunday placed a hand on his own shoulder and used the other to make a first-as though he was holding a shild of some sort. It was their sign for protection.

"Right," Kai looked down, "you shield to protect."

Sunday tapped his shoulder, "It's in our blood to want theirs. It's not a sin and it's not a crime." He signed.

"Then why does it feel so bad?"

Sunday furrowed his eyebrows at him and Kai sputtered for words.

"I know our kind is suppose to thrive off their blood but..it's the rules here right? No human blood."

Sunday made face. Ever since Kai arrived at the mansion, besides Sage, Sunday and him were the first to get along. They admired each others' strength and experience, and they wordlessly had empathy for one another's past. When Kai became conflicted, he usually spoke to Sunday when Sage wasn't available. There was something about how he couldn't talk yet still provide some pretty deep stuff that intrigued the vampire.

"I respect their rules and I still..bend them sometime."

"You drink from a human?"

"Not a live one."

Kai threw his hands up, "Well, that doesn't help me, Sunday. He's alive!"

Sunday opened his mouth, not intended to speak, but out of surprise. Then, just like that, Kai exploded.