[61] - Stay With Me (Part 1)

All I can say is, I'm glad it's the end of the week.

Lately the days are just dragging on. It's so strange not having Nate, because now we're an odd numbered group and I always feel bad hanging around Ethan now that Lucy's boyfriend isn't here. I know she's been really sad the whole week and she's trying to hide it but I see it in her eyes. Everyday the girls and I take her out somewhere special. I want these months to fly, but at the same time I want them to slow down.

I wish I could text her, seeing how she's feeling, but the lovely Mrs Archie decided to take my phone of me, sending it up to the officer for the day. I knew she never liked me, but come on? Just because she's got a little crush on Grayson, I mean gross. First of all, illegal! Second of all, why doesn't she hate Madison! Why me? Sometimes I feel like she gets confused by the wrong twin.

I don't know, I guess I just couldn't shake off a bad feeling. I felt like I should have my phone by me today.

"Are you going to answer my question?" Tristan interrupted my train of thought, "or are you going to stare off into space again?" He added a numerous chuckle to the end.

"Sorry," I chucked awkwardly, "you were saying?"

"Don't worry," he shrugged with a smirk, "it was nothing important, I just like getting people's attention."

I chuckled lowly. I turned my head to the left, taking a not so sneaky glance at Ethan, but he caught me. However, in my defence, he only caught me because he was looking at me first. We exchanged looks, ranging from flirty smirks to who can pull the ugliest face. I turned back to do some work, waiting for the bell to ring.

I checked Tristan's phone, and realised there were 10 minutes left of class. As I was getting ready to finish things up, an office monitor had come into our class and passed the teacher a note. I paid no attention to the exchange, until my name got called up. I got up, walking to the teacher, and took the note off her.

"Permission to exit," she smiled.

I nodded, reading the note. It said I was excused for the rest of the day, and to call my aunt as soon as I get this message. I found it extremely strange since my aunt contacted the school about me. Wouldn't she rather contact Dylan about something? I mean, he's done with school. I had a funny feeling in my stomach.

I picked up my stuff, feeling Ethan's gaze on me through the halls. I said goodbye to Tristan, and left the classroom. I made eye contact with Ethan, quickly flashing him the note. He furrowed his eyebrows, then raised his hand to the teacher. I continued walking to the hall, up to my locker.

I'd never packed up so fast. My adrenaline suddenly kicked in for some reason, my consciousness was telling me to 'hurry the fuck up!'. Why?

I walked to the main office, and approached the lady at the desk.

"Elena Salgado," I coughed, "signing out." I handed her my note.

She nodded, fiddled through the computer system, and then was searching in her drawers. My heart rate started fastening as time went on, and I heard the doors open to the office. A concerned Ethan caught my gaze, and he walked over to me, reading the expression in my eyes

"What happened?" He asked, trying to read my facial expressions.

I briefly explained what the note said, but the lady caught my attention when she called my name. She handed me back my phone, and I exited the office with Ethan trailing behind me.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" I asked, my attention mainly focused on my phone.

I began to dial my aunt's number, "there's like 5 minutes left of class and then I've got a free. It shouldn't matter." He replied shrugging. I felt bad that he as out of class for me, but I couldn't think about anything else right now.

I held the phone up to my ear and my aunt had answered after the first two rings.

"Hello?" Her voice was weak, and thick. It sounded as if she'd been crying.

"Hola, tia," I spoke fast, "que paso? Por que estas llorando?"

Ethan tilted his head in confusion, he didn't understand what I said, but reading my facial expressions he took the hint that something was right. He know I only speak Spanish when I'm worried, angry or stressed.

"Elena, I'm so sorry," her voice a soft whisper, it hurt to hear her so weak, "you need to get here, to the hospital, ahora, right now," she sobbed.

I felt my heart sink down to my gut, and all my thoughts began to race. I felt my body heat up as if I was sweating, but all I could do was open my mouth pathetically, and let out little mumbles. My knees buckled and, God, it took so much strength to keep myself standing.

Somehow, without her telling me who, or what, I was able to guess who, which only made my limbs feel weaker. I was so shocked and numb from pain that I couldn't even cry. Ethan caught my eyes and he came closer cautiously, almost as if he knew I could drop to the ground at any moment.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Ethan whispered, holding out his arms.

I felt tears pool in my waterline, daring to roll down. I couldn't find the strength in my person to raise my voice louder than a peep.

"My dad," I breathed heavily into the phone, "what happened to my dad?"

I heard her muffled sobs on the other line, and I couldn't help but let the tears come rolling out. The warmth of my tears stung my cheeks. I knew in my heart something was going to happen, though I didn't think this soon or this extreme. My heart was beating so fast, yet at the same time it as so slow I thought I was dying. I felt myself almost drop, giving up completely, but the strong embrace of Ethan held me up.

His eyes widened in concern at the mention of my father. He quickly scooped me up in his arms, taking me to his car, "I'll give you a ride,"

I ignored him. His voice was echoes in my ears. Echoes I had no time to hear.

"Lena," my aunt wailed, "he had a heart attack."

And that is when I truly, truly, broke.